Feb 8, 2007

Signs Signs Everywhere There's Signs

...Blocking up the scenery, breaking up my mind. Do this! Don't do that! CAN'T YOU READ THE SIGNS????



I mean really folks!! The signs are every where. But yet it is amazing to me how few people actually read them. Or maybe just don't care to heed the message within...
Informational, directional, suggestional (not a word, but I thought it flowed nicely), or even the good old fashion "THIS IS A LAW" kind of sign.
Today I am here to educate the masses on a few things. (Bear with me Friends, I need to vent!!)
COLORS: If you will notice, these colors are NOT randomly picked to brighten your day. They are specifically chosen to alert drivers of the information contained in the sign.
GREEN signs are there for directional purposes, indicating roadways and highway numbers and the directions they run.
BLUE signs are there for informational purposes, indicating such things as services located at given exit ramp.
ORANGE signs are placed to warn the public of construction sites.... In other words, there are people present in this zone, Please slow down and don't run them over!!!
YELLOW signs are used to caution drivers of immediate changes in circumstances, such as "Right Lane is Exit Only" or the little yellow speed limit signs on exit ramps. When it states 35MPH on a yellow sign, this is merely a caution that the ramp should not be taken in excess of 35 mph. Bet you did not know that exit ramp speed limit signs were placed to alert TRUCK DRIVERS of the maximum safe speed to exit. Not automobiles!! To prevent the truck from tipping over.
And Finally (no, I did not cover them all!!)
WHITE signs.. These signs are, yes, you guessed it!! written LAW... Such as speed limits.
Funny though, the speed limit signs seem to be the only WHITE signs that people notice.. Well look again. On most 4 and 6 lane Interstates, there are several other white signs present. Let me just point out a few for you...
Ever notice the sign that states "Slower Traffic Keep Right" While there are several versions of this sign (depending on the State) , it all means the same thing... Get your Sunday Driving Ass Out Of The Left Lane!!!!!
And more importantly .... On 6 lane (and larger) Interstates there is one particular sign that almost always goes unnoticed Except to the eye of a Trucker. It clearly states. "Trucks Use Two Right Lanes" or "No Trucks In Left Lane" Why should we Big Riggers pay heed to this particular sign while other motorists do not. Because if we get caught out in that left lane, WE have to pay a hefty fine!! Florida, for example charges as much as $500 for cruising in the left lane in a Big Truck.
So next time you are cruising down the Interstate and Big Billy Big Rigger is breathing down your bumper, just think about how easy and inexpensive it would be if you simply moved to the left or right lanes and just let us pass by. We mean no harm, just doing our job. But I can assure you that there are many Truckers who will ride 2inches behind literally pushing you down the highway until you move out of the way!! Just the way it is!
Gosh, I believe my hostility is showing and this is not even the real issue that set me off!!

3 comments:

LID said...

A question. Why do all states have the law about the left lane?
BTW, great stuff...didn't know that about the exit ramps. I try to follow the speed limit but after going 60mph slowing to 25 seems ridiculous. Good stuff Terry.
We're hear to listen to your rants. I can appreciate them,,, you know cause I live in the traffic captial. LA's got nothing on NY!

Ginger said...

Please educate me. You mean you aren't allowed in the left lane even to pass a slow moving vehicle?

Terry said...

Thats right Ginger, if they are more than 2 lanes, Big Trucks are prohibited from the using the left lane. NO MATTER WHAT!! I got a ticket in CT because I was trying to avoid hitting a woman who was applying her make-up in the center lane. The Officer did not care what she was doing. I should have KNOWN better.

LID, Thanks for being patient with me. I try not to RANT but sometimes it cant be helped.
I dont know why it exists, but I think Trucks should be put into the two LEFT lanes. Would make it easier for all of those local folks to merge in and out at ramps!! I tried to start a campaign here in Atlanta about having that law changed, but seeems I dont know what I am talking about. Makes sense to put the BIG Trucks in the way of merging traffic, WHATEVER!!

BTW, I have to give credit to the commuters in NY.. Having been driving in the area for 4 years now, I must say that they know what they are doing. While traffic is much heavier in NY, it still somewhat flows!! LA, ATL, and even DC don't have a clue.