Feb 2, 2007

No, Not Brooklyn..PLEASE

I must admit, while I am fearless in my journeys, I do have a few locations I don't particularly care for... The most Hated being Chicago... I have not been there in over 4 years and have no desire to every return in a Big Truck. Of the destinations I frequent, Brooklyn is the least desired.

The reasoning is as follows:
1. Road Construction. I don't think road construction in Brooklyn will ever be completed!! And the potholes are big enough to swallow cars whole!

2. Traffic. My loads are always arranged to where (If I were delivering in Brooklyn)I would be driving during the morning commute. What a nightmare!! and with all that construction...

3. Brooklyn Customer Locations. We have 2 that I know of (until now). The first is on Atlantic Avenue, which is a very busy major roadway. The freight has to be hand unloaded while double parked!! But the fun part is trying to make a U-turn in six lanes of congested traffic. I have done it twice in 4 years. The second stop is off of 3rd and 32nd. This area is a bunch of one way streets directly under the Brooklyn Queens Expressway. The only way to safely maneuver this delivery is to arrive before 5am and drive down a one way street, the wrong way!! Otherwise you cannot get to the loading dock. Nothing wrong with that, except that they don't open until 8:30. There is a bright side, you can see a pretty good view of the Statue of Liberty from Brooklyn.


So, this past week, I was informed I would be making a delivery in Brooklyn. An unknown location to top it off. I quickly pull out the lap top and type in the location. Thanks Bro. It looks easy enough on Microsoft Streets and Trips. Take the 39th St Exit off the BQE, make a U-turn , then a quick right and BOOM, there they are. My morning started out on the Island and therefore I had to deal with rush hour commuters. Distance 56 miles, travel time 2 hours. I made the call to the customer to let him know my ETA and of course he understood the traffic delays. All is well!! He would have someone meet me on the street, to let me know just where to deliver.. Talk about curb service. When I pulled up, there he was. Coffee in one hand and a fresh croissant in the other. Breakfast for me!! After a quick unload, and several minutes of friendly chatter I was on my way.

Next Stop, Queens.

2 comments:

LID said...

Ah, the BQE, I was was stuck on it for 4 hours when coming back from a trip to DC. And it was 2 a.m.! Great road! I [heart] NY!

Terry said...

I myself, avoid it at all costs!! Literally. If I am delivering out on Long Island (coming in from Philly) I will take the Jersey Turnpike to the GWB and proceed to the Throgsneck... Much better on my suspension!! More tolls indeed, but once again THEY are paying for it!!