Feb 2, 2007

And Speaking of Queens...

One of my favorite locations to deliver to is the Dave Sanders Co. The reason is the employees. Good bunch of people!! My favorite of course is the guy that unloads the truck. Jimmy. He is what I would consider a "typical" New Yorker. Load and Brash with those who attempt to run him down in the street (once again, unloading a flatbed double parked!!) But really a very sweet guy. Willing to skip lunch or stay late to get me unloaded and has on several occasions had lunch waiting on me when I would arrive.

Also, this is the only safe place to nap if coming into the City during the night. Definitely a bonus!! Which leads me to my story....

About a year ago, I headed to Astoria for a morning delivery. Arriving around 9 pm, I settled in for the night. Now directly across the street from Dave Sanders is a donut factory. Of course they have a shop to purchase a few of these glazed concoctions right around the corner.
So after watching some TV, I decide to call it a night and snuggle in. BAM, BAM SPLAT!!!
What the hell was that?? At this point I am rigid with fear. After a moment, I cautiously peek out of the curtains to see what all the commotion is about. I see nothing!! I look again, and behold the smears on my windows. Then there they are. A group of teenage boys walking the streets, eating donuts. They are well out of my range and continuing to dwindle into the night, so I feel confident the little escapade is over. Not confident enough to investigate further, but I was able to get back to sleep within the hour.
Next morning was a sight to behold. I jump out of the truck to survey the vandalism and what do I behold. Roughly two dozen doughnut holes scattered about my truck... I cleaned my windows (I was tempted to lick them clean, but chose Windex instead) and waited for Jimmy to show up. And waited. and waited some more... When he finally arrives (30 minutes late) he immediately notices the doughnuts and proceeds to question their very existence...

With a straight face, I tell him, " I had breakfast for you this morning, but since you were late I said to hell with it!" His reaction was priceless!! I later explained the scenario and we had a few laughs!!

The next time I made this delivery, Jimmy was waiting with a egg sandwich for me and dropped it on the floor just as I was reaching for it. "Paybacks are a B*@#h", he says. And a moment later, "Gotcha".. The sandwich was 2 days old and not fit to eat.....

9 comments:

Anon For Everything said...

This is one of the coolest blogs I have seen. I have always wondered what life is like for truckers. So interesting to read about the different places you have been to!

Terry said...

Hey Thanks Anon for stopping by!! Hope you continue to enjoy, and feel free to ask question!!

Mike said...

I have questions...

Why is your brother such a nerd?

Terry said...

He was deeply influenced by his childhood friends.... Touche'

Terry said...

Dont make me post old Burleson pics..... And prove it!!

Sorry Mike, I am being a bit abusive tonight... Forgive me??

Angel said...

Sounds like a fun guy to kid around with. And gotta love the sibbling action here. LOL I wish I had a brother. Two sisters are hell. LOL

LID said...

Donut antics in Queens... Anon's right... where else can you get this kind of stuff... not from us housebound boring dolts... that's for sure.

Terry said...

Angel, I do love my Brothers sooooo! And Mikey was an (honorary) member of the clan. God knows, he was at the house enough!! But we all loved him too.

LID, don't think for a moment that I wouldnt change places with any of you housebound boring dolts!! But this is where I am at and I try to make the MOST of any situation.

I am glad everyone is enjoying my antics.... (I feel a new theme coming on, stay tuned!!)

Mike said...

Just think how weird I would have been if I had NOT been hanging out with your brother.

Otherwise I weould have been around my family WAYYYYYYYYYY too much.