Feb 8, 2007

Billy Goats Gruff

Okay so there are NO Trolls under the bridges. Such fairy tales and folklore I am not sure about. BUT, I do believe in Median Monsters. Although I have not seen one as of yet, they must surely exist.

In my last post I did a little bit of a rant trying to convince people to Get Out Of the Middle Lane. I really don't know why people hang out in the middle lane, unless of course they are afraid of these Median Monsters. Ditch Dwellers that live along the sides of 6 lane Interstates!! Of course, if you get too close to the edge of the roadway , they will reach out and get you!! That must be it!!!!! I know I pointed my finger towards the automobile drivers, but believe me folks, there are Truckers who do it as well ( and they know we are not allowed in the left lane).

Last week, while heading home, one such Trucker was cruising down the center lane at a leisurely pace. I myself, along with a few others, wanted to get on down the road for various reasons.. In the right lane was a slow moving camper that was weaving back and forth. Another reason I wanted to get the H out of dodge. No need in hanging around for the accident, RIGHT.
And of course, the little white signs were present indicating I would pay a hefty price for using that left lane.

So after SEVERAL miles, I key up my CB radio and politely say," Hey Werner, you think you could step to the right and let some of us pass. We sure would appreciate it, hon." The camper was beside me and there was nothing to the right of the Werner Truck, so he had the option to scoot on over. Nothing was said in return.. Several more miles of this and gradually the camper driver notices that the center lane is packed full of Big Trucks, so he starts flashing his lights at the WERNER DRIVER ( a universal gesture to indicate the lane is clear to move into)
Several more miles and the camper driver begins to ease off the throttle, allowing those of us trapped in the center lane to move over. As I begin to pass, the driver of said obstacle glances over at me and smiles flirtatiously. I just glare at him. As I move on down the road, a few other truckers ask what the hold up is and I politely inform them that there was a big truck holding up traffic but we were about to break free... Almost instantly, the villain of my story, the Werner Driver grabs his microphone and commences to cursing at me and boy did he let me have it... I was a bit shocked, after all I had politely asked him to move over!!! Needless to say, I did not have to respond, several others chastised him for speaking to me in such a manner.

But even after all the commotion, he sat right there in the middle lane, not a care n the world. However, he did continue to cuss out anyone who dared pass him on the right. So, do you think he has seen one of those horrible Median Monsters?? Sometimes I wonder.

4 comments:

LID said...

Hey Terry, can you tell us why it seems only long-distance truck drivers return the flashing gesture? I do it for local trucks all the time and get nothing back -- are they just rude or what?

Ginger said...

Median Monsters? Oh, great. One more thing I have to worry about on the road.

Terry said...

I am presumimg here LID, but it seems to me the Over The Road Truckers appreciate it more because they want to get out of the City as quickly as possible. ANY help is greatly savored. While the City Guys never get to leave. So yeah, they seem to be a bit more ungrateful.

Ginger, I have not yet seen these creatures with my own eyes, but I am sure they dont exist in Alabama!! Besides most of your roads are elevated, so "no worries" there!!

Terry said...

LID, check out my 10/05/06 post entitled "NYC Welcomong Committee" It explains my feelings toward NYC traffic sooooo much better!! I LOVE THIS CITY!!

BTW, not sure how to put a link in the comments section?!