Jan 16, 2010

The Last Straw

My last post was written in Mt Jackson, Virginia. I had decided to wait on AA, who was only a few hours behind me. I figured as long as we were running together, I might not be so volatile in regards to the behavior of my truck. I was more than willing to wait, even though it would require a 12 hour break. If you know me at all, you should be well aware that I do not linger..The second I am able to roll, I am gone. So this should reveal how distraught I was.


We proceeded south first thing Wednesday morning. Surprisingly, even though the noise was still unbearable, the performance was up to par. I still maintain that I was having injector cup problems but they seem to have reseated themselves after the engine cooled off. Such as the first telltale signs of cups going bad. We made it 200 miles before parting ways. During this time, AA complained that his truck was not running efficiently. My spare was racing down the interstate like hell on wheels. But as soon as we parted company, the truck I was driving decided enough was enough. I immediately began to have performance problems again. I later joked with AA that his truck was having sympathy pains for me.

The next 400 miles had me dropping gears like crazy, pulling my empty wagon over the crest of tiny mounds, that normally offer no resistance even with the heaviest of loads. I could barely do the speed limit of the flat stretches.

I finally made it back to the plant and was feeling so dismal, that I just about lost it when I did the final write-up before turning the truck back into maintenance. It was after hours, so I had no one to yell at.


First I noticed that the previous driver had not been turning in any of his write-ups. How are the mechanics supposed to fix anything if they don't know it is broken?



Next, I noticed the previous driver's write-ups were marked NO DEFECTS. How can this be, if even the Stooges knew to tell me that the truck had problems.

The previous driver was The Mayor....This is the second time I have followed him into a truck. This is the second time his write-ups were not turned in to maintenance. This is the second time his write-ups were bull-shit and left me driving faulty equipment.


So I wrote up everything I could remember ( I did forget to mention the inverter did not work, but I am sure someone else will figure that out, maybe even the effing Mayor..) And before saying my farewells, I had a little fun !!


This picture was suppose to show the carelessness of previous drivers, with the broken pieces, but it you look closer, you will notice I did a little 10 wheel mudding to alleviate my rage.

On Friday, I received the news that Frankentruck is back in action, with a shiny new motor donated by Volvo. I am going to test this motor, and I am pretty sure any small glitches I stumble upon will be more readily acceptable than to continue to endure what I have already become accustomed to . Thank God this is over!!

Enclosed you will find a short clip I produced to show you just how miserable this week has been. WARNING...when you get to the portion that says OUTSIDE THE TRUCK, you may want to turn your volume down. I did not alter these noises at all. This is what I dealt with all week. The last segment of the video is so you can hear how terribly the engine was performing. ENJOY!!




With those noises and performance, the traffic issues I encountered seemed somewhat trivial...Well, except for the embarrassment factor.

PA Toll Booth I-78 (3 mile back-up)


Bruckner Expressway, Bronx, New York @ 1pm
.

9 comments:

StrokerAce90 said...

My best Guesstimate,..its da turbo, at least thats what i thought heard when ya held the camera right next to it. One of the most common failures of truck turbos is due to hot shutdown. This occurs when the vehicle has been running at a constant speed for a period of time and the vehicle is shut off before the turbo has had time to slow down. A turbo can spin at speeds exceeding 100,000 rpm, the faster the vehicle goes or the harder it works, the faster the turbo will spin. If a vehicle is shutoff suddenly the turbo will continue to spin without oil. Each time this occurs, the life of the turbo is shortened because of wear occurring from no lubrication. Eventually there will be enough wear to allow one of the wheels on the turbo to contact its housing. This causes the wheel to be out of balance. This causes even more contact & the turbo is usually destroyed. Allowing the vehicle to idle for a few minutes after its been running hard or allowing the exhaust temperature to cool to below 500 degrees will greatly reduce the risk of premature turbo failure. Do all of your temp drivers let this spare truck idle for 3-minutes before shutting it down? Would the Mayor even know about this?

sorry ya had to go thru all that Terry, it makes for interesting reading for yer blog tho =]

Terry said...

Thanks Eric.. There is a standing recall on the 2007 models for the TURBO..But that was not the only problem...and the least of my worries...I get Frankentruck back tomorrow, so I couldnt care less what happens to this one. I fulfilled my obligation by writing it up. It is now up to the stooges and temp drivers to take better care of it.

Unknown said...

Terry,

As i was reading your posts i was thinking to myself that these mechanical issues can't be that bad. I apologize for not really believing you. After hearing the noise, especially outside the truck. The noise would have made me shut down until it was fixed. I understand that a job has to be done but there isn't any reason for you to have to endure that for any amount of time. It would drive you insane.

Hopefully your regular ride is running great and you can enjoy your job again.

Take care and i enjoy reading your posts and watching your vids on youtube. Thanks.

Todays Walk said...

OMG! You're a bigger women then I... I heard you when you said it was bad, but that is insane. I'm with willingtowrk, I would have figure out some other way to get that job done, in another truck. The only thing I can think of is that your bosses know that you WILL get the job done no matter what and the continued issues with trucks with you isn't that important. Myself, when it comes to "stooges" in shops, when they see me coming, they run for cover and leave the boss to chat with me. I'm a female-bull when it comes to them working on my car and making sure they aren't even think about pulling the wool out to cover my eyes. Be Safe out there, okay....

Terry said...

Willingtowork... I knew some people might think I was blowing this out of proportion, that is why I included the video. I do not think I would have believed how bad it was, except I lived it. Because I reported the first spare with having minor regen problems, I was blessed with this little jewel. And while I have absolutely no problems with camping out in a hotel waiting on repairs for my own truck, I wont do it for a spare truck. But that does not mean I do not enjoy my job! Thanks for watching and reading! Be Safe!!

John II said...

I just watched your clip on LT's Roadrage. YOU WEREN'T KIDDING! That engine sounds bad. And, of course, your "buddy" the Mayor, doesn't send in the paperwork of the truck not functioning properly. (Which is why I put him in the funny story about the stooges fixing a truck half-ass and Mayor taking it out before it disinergrated around him)
Well, Frankentruck is out of the hospital with a new engine. No more problems, right? (crossing fingers)
Ya know, that photo with the fuel tank covered with mud? That is mud, right? Or did you find the guy that ruined your boots and bathroom rugs and tell him to "have at it" on the fuel tank, as payback?

simstick said...

I always go by the book and all pertinent laws and regulations pertaining to said PTI write up but.....
I know of drivers that do not because if you make a notation of a mechanical defect and then happen to drive the truck without it being signed off by a mechanic and something bad happens it can come back on you.

You are really putting yourself at risk (you as in reader) if you have to depend on a poor shop. The shop should be part of the team that you can bet your life on,

Terry said...

Todays Walk The only reason I did not make more of an effort to not have to go through this situation is that we only have 2 spare trucks. I wrote the first one up the week before, so it was locked away in the shop. The one I was in this week made a slight squalling noise when I first started it, but it went away after it warmed up the first time. It did not become annoying until the 2nd day when it would not quieten down, and the mechanical failures did not hinder me until I was 1000 miles away from home. With that said, I will not camp out in a hotel for someone else's truck. I dont know about "a bigger woman". I was fuming, but I was determined to not let the stooges get one over on me, so I brought it back to...them.

Terry said...

Simstick, you are absolutely right..It would be nice to be able to place my trust in MY shop..Thankfully, I have found one that does care and it is only 2 hours away. I can "breakdown" there almost conveniently if I need to. :-)