Jan 23, 2010

He's Alive

You have no idea the relief I felt when I pulled into the yard on Sunday and saw Frankentruck sitting in his designated parking spot. The sheer joy, I felt to open the doors and see all of my creature comforts...er, um piled high on the bunk. The passionate abandon I experienced , when I pulled the hood to see his shiny new heart! (even if the motor was the wrong color).



Everything I had been through the first few weeks of the year suddenly melted away into oblivion. Albeit an ephemeral oblivion!

As I started to reacquaint myself with the interior, and load my weekly requisition of staples, I was quickly forced into battling a surge of negative emotion. Poor Frankentruck was trashed! When I left him, I made sure everything was tucked away, so it would not hinder the task at hand. But who knew certified mechanics would need to root around in the sleeper just to replace an engine. It was bad enough that when I first attained Franky, the previous driver had already done enough damage to the interior, to make sure it never really ever felt clean enough. What I mean by that is, even though I could obtain the look of cleanliness, the scarring and tearing of the paneling and cabinets would never be up to my standards. I like my truck to continue to look new for as long as I am in it. All the screw holes and ripped upholstery would prevent that from happening. But still I claimed him and mustered through as best I could.

Grease!!


The filth left behind from the mechanics had me in a blinding rage. Even the rugs I had folded and placed out of the way, were covered in grease. But I decided to try and ignore it. I did not have time to do another thorough cleansing, so I covered the muck and proceeded to test out his capabilities. I did have to wipe down the steering wheel and shifter and cover the seat in a towel, but the flooring and side panels would have to wait.

As soon as I put him in gear, I knew ! I knew that everything was going to be okay. I hit the Interstate and he churned away in a dignified fashion, making each hill seem less of challenge than it had ever been before. And I could hear myself think, for once.

Could I be dreaming? Is this real?

Frankentruck survived his surgery and has come back to life as the Monster Of The Highways, and even with all the deep cleaning he will endure in the next few days, his performance is nothing less than stellar.



For those of you not familiar with how he got his moniker, Frankentruck is named for the fasteners mounted on his shoulders, as well as the internal upholstery scarring.To me, he resembles Frankenstein's Monster!!


HE'S ALIVE!!!!

4 comments:

StrokerAce90 said...

I can't even begin to imagine how the mechanics got all that grease in the places that they did,...oh wait...yes i can, they were slobs. I have seen this before, & if you were a dude Terry (which i know your not) you could have went into the mens room & saw what i think is the #1 most disgusting place to see grease, yes,..on da side of the toilet seat where you would grab a hold of it to lift so you could pee while standin up, sorry, just try to resist the urge of thinking what they touched next. Glad to hear you washed yer steerin wheel & shifter =]

Terry said...

Most shops have supplies to prevent this from happening. Plastic seat covers and paper floor mats. Sadly, Atlanta Volvo never uses these items. I do not remember a time that my truck went to ATL Volvo and did not come home with some unnecessary lubrication smeared somewhere. This was extreme negligence and thankfully my favorite Volvo shop excessively uses preventative measures to ensure this never happens! I heart TN!!

John II said...

One '07 Volvo tracor-$100,000

One new motor plus labor-$65,000

Unsanatary conditions left by mechanics-PURE IGNORACE

Cleaning solvent, glass cleaner, carpet degreaser, paper towels, and sponge-$30.00

Vaccum cleaner-OWNED OR BORROWED FROM FAMILY MEMBER OR FRIEND

One happy, beautiful little trucker excited to be back in her truck following a series of misadventures-PRICELESS

You do realized the mechanics weren't checking your truck just to double-check their repairs. They were doing this:
"Hey Billy, did you find them?"
"No, Scott. I can't find a bra, a thong or anything. Are you sure a woman drives this truck?"
"I'm teling you, Billy Boy. They said a pretty gal drop this truck off. She probably didn't take everything with her. I'm sure she left something behind."
"Well then, don't stand outside. Just come up in here and help me look. Maybe we'll find a picture or photo of her, too."
"Good idea, Billy! Then I'll just tack that photo alongside that Playboy calender with those other chicks' photos on the wall as well."
"You and your dumb collection are gonna get you in trouble one of these days, Scotty."
"Yeah, she's worth it. They'll all worth it!"

Terry said...

JOHN II, yeah, I have been in the game long enough to know better than to leave anything too personal. While I have never had anything stolen, I do know a few mechanics have "looked" around. I left generic items like food, microwave, winter gear, basic stuff ,you know.