Jan 23, 2010

WOYM # 24-26

What got you interested in commercial trucking and was it due to family careers or something that sparked your curiosity in driving semis?-John II

Hey John, actually I am the first commercial driver in my family and I think my initial decision probably frightened every member of my family. I was introduced to the industry through my job at a Lumber Mill. During that time I developed a great respect for Truck Drivers. When my job came to an end at the mill, I was asked what line of work I was going to pursue. I decided right then and there I was going to drive. I was told I would not be able to do it, and 12 years later, I am still trucking up. The initial conversation had been more like a dare, so I think I was challenged into proving myself...

What do you think of the trucking industries future? amremann

, I do not really consider myself to be directly involved in the Trucking Industry. I feel I am more related to the Aluminum Industry because I haul freight for one company only. I do believe that the larger "training" companies are ruining the respect that the general public has for the drivers by churning out less than qualified drivers to fill their trucks. I would never want to be a part of "Big Trucking" because of the lack of value placed on the individual driver. I know this does not answer your question, but until I am in a truck, not knowing who, what , when, where or why, I don't feel like I can give you an informed opinion. I prefer to stay out of it, and as long as aluminum is in demand, that is where I will be!

If you could design your dream load for the week were would it take you?Henry

Henry, what a great question. I don't think I could cover my dream load in just one week. I would have so many roads I would like to cover and the sights to behold are limitless. I absolutely love running into New York and New England, but if I had to pick one area to spend the week traveling through, it would have to be Big Sky Country and the North West. That has got to be the most beautiful portion of the 48 contiguous States...That is of course, unless I could get a load to Alaska..

Ask me anything

4 comments:

StrokerAce90 said...

You worked in a lumber mill Terry?

& my oh my, I can't believe that someone told my favorite Little Trucker in the past that she would not be able to do it, what were they thinking? lol

Terry said...

Eric, that was my first "real" job. I was with them for 5-6 years. Started outdoors doing physical labor, drove a fork lift and finally made it into a salary position in the shipping department. There was a conflict in the office, and I was being transferred because my supervisor did not like me (he was married to the family who owned it, and did not deserve the position)So, instead I gave 2 weeks notice. After 6 months, they called and begged me to come back and take HIS position, but I was in San Diego, in a truck, and told them NO THANKS!!

StrokerAce90 said...

You da Girl!

John II said...

Thanks for answering my question, Terry. I got involved with trucks -and trains, too - when I was a baby (Early age for a CDL) and it has never left me since. In my teen years I had people, including some of my former classmates, tell me I would end up at a fast food joint or working part-time during odd jobs but after 13 years in the transportation industry (railway/trucking), I'm doing pretty good and it's getting better every time.
(We showed those "nay-sayers" we're better, huh?)