Jan 23, 2010

WOYM # 28

I have recently read on lady truckers blogs that it is very difficult to get showers.I have not noticed you complaining about this and was wondering, if you find it hard as a woman to keep clean out on the road? -Cindy

Thanks for the question Cindy. This is a subject I have also seen floating around cyberspace, and to be honest it makes me want to cringe.

Personal Hygiene is always a matter of personal preference. For myself, I work in a very dirty portion of trucking because of physically handling the trailer and freight numerous times throughout the day. The last thing I want to do at the end of the day is crawl inside my clean sheets with a filthy body. Therefore I allow myself that extra hour to stop and get a shower.

I would think that all Truck Stops and possibly 80% of all Fuel Stops have showers available to the drivers. Most truck stops will give you a free shower for purchasing a minimum of 50 gallons of fuel. There are still several Mom-n-Pop operations that provide FREE showers to drivers, as well as free coffee. Now, bear in mind that there are times when I have had to wait up to an hour or more for my turn in the shower, but I am willing to wait!! Without the purchase of fuel, you have 2 options to obtain yourself a shower. The first is to outright pay for it, usually $8 -$12 bucks. The second option would be to redeem reward points for a free shower. Each truck stop supplies the driver with a Reward Card, and every single gallon purchased applies points to the card for free merchandise, free food, or even free showers. Surprisingly, I have even had drivers offer to give up their shower coupon for me. Had one do that last week because my reward card was out of free showers. Often you will hear drivers on the CB asking if anyone has a spare coupon they can have, and there are quite a few drivers willing to help each other out.

I personally think that there is no reason any driver should have to go without a shower, unless of course it is their own personal decision. I really do appreciate you asking this question, and I hope I have helped you in some way. If you are looking into becoming a trucker, please do not believe everything you read on the Internet. Feel free to ask questions, and always get more than one opinion. I have noticed some very disgruntled drivers who try to tell it like it is, only to be misleading the readers, simply because they are not happy with their jobs. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!!

Ask me anything

5 comments:

StrokerAce90 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John II said...

Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha! That's a good one, Eric!
Terry don't stink, she smells like a boquet of red roses freshy picked form a garden. ;D

StrokerAce90 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John II said...

I hear ya on that, Eric.

Terry said...

Well John, it was on Dan Rather..and a few other lady drivers who blog often complain about the same thing, but I think they are totally misrepresenting the situation. If you chose not to shower, do not say you dont have the opportunity. ALso, the large trucking companies do provide driver's areas at their terminals with free showers, so there is NO EXCUSE!!