Mar 2, 2007

Talk About Being Short Sheeted!!

One of the many perks that I receive with my job is that I am reimbursed one hundred percent for all motel room expenses up to $75.oo per day...


This definitely makes it much nicer! I don't have to sleep in the truck or take Truck stop showers!! who knows how many people have been in that stall and what they left behind!!


I recently found out that not every driver in our company is allowed this extra little perk... I had done quite a bit of fussing about extreme cold weather and alas! my voice was heard. The account that I am dedicated to is the only one that compensates its drivers this way.


With the milder climate in the south, there are only a handful of us who take advantage of the reimbursement policy. There are usually only 3-4 drivers who head north each week and you better believe we are staying toasty warm... My personal belief is that if they are offering to pay, why would you not take them up on it... Not to mention that getting out of the truck everyday is helping to maintain my sanity.... The particular route I choose each week, is the best paying trip, but very few are willing to venture into NYC... With the extra deliveries (normally the load begins out on Long Island, but in the winter NJ and PA are included...this adds an extra day which adds to my frustration) and the extreme cold, and surplus of crazy drivers, the daily break is well anticipated!!


There are several things I look for when selecting my room for the night... Truck Parking and Free Wireless Internet are the top two.


Now for $75.00 dollars, sometimes the options are very limited... For example, the one time I was approved for a motel room out on Long Island, the rates were $169.00 per night. I will never be approved for that one again, but it was under hardship circumstances so they really could not refuse..


That leaves my options a bit restricted... The week I had my accident, I was pointed in the direction of an Econo Lodge... OMG!! I was very very very pleased with this one... Big Room, Big TV, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, and 4 towels to boot...


This week as I began to scout for motels, I kept Econo Lodge in the forefront of my mind...


Well I found one in West Haven Connecticut!!


After paying an inflated price, due to being closer to NYC, I headed to my room..


Upon entering I was in total shock!!This was nothing like the franchise in Virginia. No amenities at all, except the coffee maker, which had crud stuck in the bottom of it!! Ewwwww!! I should have requested my money back immediately... I inspected the room and decided to hang out anyway!! I will not post pics, because I would be embarrassed to show the conditions I subjected myself to.


However, there is one picture I must show you!!


When I crawled into bed that evening, my feet quickly found this scratchy material..... I jump up and pulled back the covers. You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!


That night, I slept across the top of the mattress (being short , I can do that). Upon leaving the next morning, I left a little note uttering my amazement as to what I had found the night before.. Not a complaint so much, but I am sure the house keeper got a good laugh out of it... I also notified management of my displeasure. I mailed the little comment cards !! I got on-line to register a complaint. I raised my voice, so to speak, but no, I did not leave when I should have!!


I do need to get better at demanding the service I am paying for, I rarely send back food at a restaurant... Something about not making waves.....



4 comments:

maddie said...

i would SO take up the offer for the reimbursement. Can you get a room that costs more and just pay the difference? I know it's not optimal, but at least you're in a room and not your truck...

And that Econo Lodge...ewww! I'm so sorry! :(

Terry said...

You know Shell, I dont understand why the other drivers opt for sleeping in the truck... I ain't no fool. Actually, the allotted amount was supposed to be $57.00. But so far I have been reimbursed for everything I have spent..I had paid the extra amount thinking I would not recover it, but so far so good!!

Sally said...

Um, you should get your money back for that fiasco! The desk clerk probably wouldn't be able to help you, but maybe their corporate office could. Hopefully you hear back about those comment cards!

I insisted on our money back one night in Las Cruces, NM, when we checked into a Super 8...we went cheap b/c we had the dogs and we didn't want to have to sneak them in...but when the room had no towels, no lightbulb and there was a scary dude casing our car in the parking lot, I demanded our money back.

I DO NOT envy you having to find cheap but nice places to stay...not fun!

Terry said...

Oh yeah, Sally.. You hit the nail on the head.. I did not mention it, but 2 of the lightbulbs were also useless and the one towel, well I wont even go there.. Thank goodness, I carry my own towels with me...

Cheap but nice is a task in itself, but add in Truck parking....