Jan 26, 2007

Strike Three... Your Outta Here!!

I am often amazed at some of the skills (or lack thereof) that many truck drivers have acquired these days. I am proud to say that in 8 years of Truckin', I have only been charged with two minor accidents. And one of them happened while I was 30 miles away from the scene of it!! Can you say Insurance Scam??

This week I had the pleasure of being truly amazed and yet baffled beyond my wildest dreams. I had a delivery to make in Woburn Massachusetts. Upon arrival, I was quickly informed that there would be major delays in the unloading process. It seems that one particular fellow had run into some problems with being able to maneuver his truck... When instructed to drive into the building, he seem to forget about checking his clearance. The doorway allows for an additional 2 foot clearance on each side of the truck. Somehow he managed to position his tractor in such a way that he tore out the railing for the overhead door. He was then instructed to try and back out so the damage could be surveyed and repaired. Obviously, this was easier said than done. Next he managed to knock out the cinder block wall that had previously held the damaged railing. So he is two for two...

If that wasn't bad enough, he then managed to collide with another truck while repositioning to be unloaded... Come On!!!

At this point, enough was enough and everyone present halted all operations in order to attend to this situation and get this guy out of there. After a mere 4 1/2 hour delay, I was safely unloaded and on my way. This little fiasco cost me an additional day on the road!!

Because I feel I have mastered the fine art of maneuvering my Big Rig, it simply astounds me that people can make such stupid moves. After all I am only 5' tall and can barely be seen above my steering wheel. Yet I have never damaged any property, never back into anything, never run over anything, never been the object of someones scrutiny over poor driving skills. I have mastered NYC for Pete's sake, and this city was not designed for 53' trailers...

You probably don't want to know this, but there are actually companies out there who teach individuals to "Learn to Drive the Big Rigs" in less than a one month period. I approached one individual who had recently "graduated" and was having a hard time backing up his trailer. When I asked him how he managed to pass the course with very limited backing capabilities, he replied " They told me to avoid backing up!!"

I don't know about you, but that scares the crap out of me!! I probably should have kept that info to myself, but I felt you should know. It is important to always be cautious around trucks. You never know what kind of idiot is driving, or just how well he was trained!!

5 comments:

Mike said...

While driving the bus I only had one accident. Sadly, it was ALL my fault, and the cop driving the patrol car that I BACKED INTO did not find it nearly as funny as I did.

Full disclosure, he pulled up sideways right behind me just as I was about to back up. The back up alarm and lights did not phase him when he parked, but I sure got his attention when I ripped up the passenger side of his car.

Terry said...

Oh Mike, that is hilarious!! You still want to give the big truck a test run?? I know you could wipe out a whole car with it. *hee hee*

LID said...

"...avoid backing up." That's beautiful!

As for Mike... he already has a beautiful big blue truck, although it didn't get to go a junkin' this year.

Terry said...

LID, You would be surprised to know there are many "truckers" who do not know how to use reverse in a safe and effective manner. I met a lady once who told me that in 5 years, she had never once backed her truck up. She always asked someone else to do it for her!!

Angel said...

This frightens me. But I am far too privy on insurance issues with trucks since hubby is a defense litigator emphasis on insurance.