Jan 17, 2007

The Proverbial Question

If a Tree falls in the forest and no one is present to hear it, does it still make a noise??

The answer is YES!! Especially if that tree is in a forest with a highway running through the middle of it. And it falls in the direction of an electric pole that connects power lines from one side of the highway to the other... The noise it makes is approximately 15 disgruntled truck drivers who are stuck waiting at the scene for the power company to assess and repair the situation.

When I got to the scene there were only a few of us Big Riggers, but several cars!! After 10-15 minutes, the automobile drivers began to make U-turns and exit stage right. Now, of course this was not an option for the rest of us.. The power company told us that we were looking at an approximate 2 hour delay.....

so much for making good time

Every so often throughout this waiting period, another truck would arrive on the scene..Completely unaware, he was sure to ask the question "Whats the problem?"
"Tree fell and power lines are down over the highway" After repeating this response several times, one of the drivers suggested we come up with an alternative story...

So roughly 15 minutes later another Trucker meanders up to the site and asks about the dilemma.. Quick as I could (I had the microphone in hand when I saw him approaching, not to be outdone by someone else) I respond with "There is an escape convict in the area and they have him cornered up in a tree. Law enforcement will not let us move for fear someone will get shot."

Not a sound was made for at least 60 seconds..... Tick Tock Tick Tock. And then a somber voice comes over the radio...."Damn, that was pretty good"

True to their word, 2 hours and 2 minutes after the road was closed, we were once again on our way...

You know what really blows... I was 4.3 miles from my final destination when I came upon the site... My final destination was HOME... So much for making good time.

2 comments:

LID said...

LMAO! Oh That's Great! You are one wild and crazy gal!

Terry said...

I like to think so, too.. Part of my charm..

Are you still trying to help Angel out with her lack of snow?? I will be out on "The Island" Monday so I hope to run into a little fluffy weather along the way.. Just a heads up, you might want to stay off the LIE that day!!