Jan 12, 2007

Now Who's Idea Was This

I purchased a new car several months ago. Then I proceeded to have the windows tinted.. Immediately noticing problems with the tint job, I was forced to return and have the doors retinted. While I was there, I asked about the scratches running vertically on the glass and if there was any way to prevent this from happening again.. I was informed that this particular model car had a design flaw which caused scratching on the tinted surface when the windows were raised or lowered. In other words, I would have to live with it.


You can notice two major scratches in this pic.. The first runs thru the side mirror and the second is a few inches to the left ..

Disappointed, I accepted this answer... You see, I park my car in a gravel parking lot for several days at a time. Inevitably when I get home , there is a fine layer of sand covering my car. But the scratches are on the inside of the glass...Hmmmmm?? So, I am a little slow sometimes, bear with me folks, I finally figure out how the dust is getting on the inside of the doors. I refused to lower my windows in the parking lot for months... Duh!! There are tiny little slots on the bottoms of each door to allow the rain water to drain out of the doors. Smart Huh??





So my next move was to figure out a way to prevent the dust from rising up through these slots and settling in the door.. I ended up settling for stuffing Kleenex in the holes. This would allow the water to continue to drain while blocking the dust. I thought it was a very clever idea. So I proceeded to stuff all the holes with tissue paper.. With the driver door completed, I ventured around to the passenger side. One hole stuffed.... WAIT A COTTON PICKIN MINUTE!!



Whats This???


Yep, you guessed it. I factory mounted little piece of plastic to prevent such dilemnas from occuring to begin with.. What a GREAT IDEA!!


But now I am wondering, just who removed the other three dust guards from my car?? Or why were they removed to begin with....


So, I am off to the dealership to pick up three more of these little black beauties. You think I could get them to cover the cost of having the side windows retinted, yet AGAIN??








5 comments:

LID said...

That little part will probably run you $35 at the dealer... send the bill to the tinter's

Terry said...

I am hoping the dealer will cover the cost under the warranty.. If not, then I will take it out of some parts guys arse!!

Rick said...

Any reason the tint guys might have taken those off? It doesn't seem very plausible.

Terry said...

I was thinking they might have been removed when the dealership was getting my car ready for me. You know, some idiot pulled them off thinking they were similar to the plastic coating they put over the shiny new metal emblems.. Just useless plastic that needed to be thrown away.

Angel said...

long island dad is like the resident car repair man here. I'd listen to him. LOL