Mar 22, 2008

There Goes The Neighborhood


I really do sincerely hope that I am just being paranoid, but I still think I made the right decision.


It all started on my afternoon run, well, actually it finished there too. Anyways, I was about 2 miles into my run when I looked up and saw two people walking towards me. This is not an unusual occurrence. There are lots of friendly folks in the vicinity who use the walking path to get out and enjoy nature. And over the past year, I have become quite familiar with most of their faces.


There are young couples with small children, lots of dog lovers and even the neighborhood lush gets out and takes a wobbly stroll occasionally. You can smell her Martini' from a 100 ft away. Once she was even seen holding her martini glass as she stumbled along the nature trail.


But today, the easy going feeling disappeared. I looked up to make eye contact with the two men approaching me and they were both looking directly at me. But the taller one had this crazy look in his eye as he was all but slobbering on himself and grinning like a Cheshire cat. I also noticed he was carrying 2 towels, which might not appear to be so odd if he was considering taking a muddy swim, or needed to wipe the perspiration from himself as he exercised.... But these were larger than hand towels. I also noticed each of them had an overstuffed pocket, nothing hanging out of it, but definitely full. They were not dressed for a walk in the park. One of them had that look of cheap sophistication, while the other looked as if he hadn't shopped in years!


After I passed them I just kept heading to the pathway leading out, instead of making another lap. I did not like the way the tall fellow was ginning at me and I definitely did not want to meet him on the other side of the park. I continued my run through some neighboring streets and came upon a rise in the pavement where you could look down upon the pond and parts of the trail. I took a quick look to see if the shady characters were still down there. Yep, and just as I was looking, one of them waves. I quickly scan the area and there is no one else to be seen. Surely he did not see me 1/4 mile away.


I start towards home and just before making the final turn that leads home, I glance over again and now the other one is waving.


Crap, now it seems that my little nature trail has an insecure feel too it.... Maybe I should just change my time of day, or do you think I should avoid it altogether.... Could it have all been just coincidence? Am I being paranoid. I really do not want to have to load down my pockets with all kinds of security measures just to talk a stroll through the park.. Dammit.

7 comments:

maddie said...

yikes. seriously creepy. you did the right thing checking back on them. do you always run at the same time when you are home? i would suggest going at different times and try to make your route a bit different each time. if you see these creeps again, i would sadly say, you will most likely have to change your route all together. you might also want to mention these creeps to your complex management so they are aware and can keep an eye out, too.

Sally said...

Wow, that sounds kinda scary. I agree with Shell- maybe try a different time and if that doesn't work, find somewhere else to go for a while. STAY SAFE!

Love Bears All Things said...

I'm going to come across like a Mother but you need about 5 different routes and you need to vary your times.
It sounds like these guys have been watching you when you're not aware of it. We have people here who walk after dark. I would never do that. I know you now feek uneasy about it. That means there was something to feel uneasy about. Listen to your instincts.
Mama Bear

Digital Fortress said...

You should go with your first instincts. If the situation seemed wrong, it probably was. Just to be on the safe side I would call the incident in, but if you don’t feel like it warrants that just yet switch up your time and route. If possible bring someone else along with you. Above all stay alert and keep safe.

Mike said...

Call it in. You might not be around everyday to see if those creepy dudes are there very often.

If you see them acting creepy again, then surely call it in.

Terry said...

Thanks.... Everyone!! It was just such an uncommon event, I have been using this trail over a year, and it definitely hit me as wrong... Before I ever saw them...That weird feeling came over me... I will keep my eyes open!

Liöüx said...

DAMN IT!

I thought I had totally commented on this when you originally posted it...

But yea...I agree with DF!

If a situation seems wrong, it more than likely is.

That's why we have instincts.