Mar 6, 2008

Blasted Shoes and Other Running Dilemmas

It has been nearly a month since I purchased those new shoes and even with a diligent effort of trying to break them in, they are not going to cooperate.


It seems that there is something to sticking with what ya got... So, I will make another attempt with New Balance. After all, they have done such a splendid job so far. AND, they are not quite as expensive as the unobtainable brand I was wanting to purchase.


I am also on my fourth attempt at trying to find a suitable set of earphones for my running excursions. It seems my feet are not the only miniature thing about me. My ears are also tiny. After purchasing three different styles of ear buds, it had becoming painfully obvious that nothing was going to stay in my little bitty ear. So I opted for some athletic variety of ear phones.


WOW, I did not even notice they were on my head and OMG, the quality.... Seriously, I had to look at my display screen several times to figure out what song was on because there were new notes and lyrics that I had never heard before, not on any other musical device or with any other headset. WTH??


And finally...


I was feeling a little trepidation in mentioning this because I did not want anyone telling me that I should not be running in the first place. But after a little research, I feel a bit more secure about it. You see, when I run, my hands swell up like balloons. At first I thought it might be something to do with circulation and that I could work it out eventually. Then it was mentioned that it might have something to do with diabetes. But I do not have any diabetic symptoms. So I perused the Internets and found out that a swelling of the hands is normal for some runners as long as the swelling goes away relatively quickly upon finishing the run. Mine does!! The only thing that concerns me is that this swelling is typical in long distance runners and well, 6 miles is not really long distance in relation to , say, a marathon runner. But okay, I feel better about it anyway.


2 comments:

Love Bears All Things said...

I like those types of ear phones better than the buds. I know what you mean about the difference in music quality.
My hands swell like that when I walk. I try holding them up with my arm bent at the elbow. That helps some.
Mama Bear

Terry said...

Yes, Mama Bear, that is what THEY recommend, to keep your arms bent. I feel so much better knowing this is a common malady.