Mar 6, 2008

Pay It Forward.....

I feel that I need to do something nice for someone.... because something nice was done for me. Although the treat I received was not anonymous or without intention, I still feel the need to pass it along.


Hello, my name is Terry and I am a Tight Wad.


I love to go shopping when I can afford too, but for the most part I hate to spend money frivolously. I really do have a hard time treating myself to anything just because. As a matter of fact, I will go so far to admit that I put off purchasing such luxuries as running shoes until I absolutely need them... For instance, if the duct tape no longer keeps the sole in place, well then it is time to purchase new shoes.


With that having been said I will continue forward with my unexpected treat.


I have owned my CB Radio for the entire length of my trucking career. It is a good radio and it works. No need to upgrade. The one I have costs about $300 brand new with no modifications, and I bought it second hand in California years ago. It kind of has sentimental value also, so once again, no need to upgrade. But inevitably these things need to be adjusted and occasionally replaced. Mine has been on the declining side of performance for the past few years, but it still worked. Along with the fact the the Truck I am driving has a very poor ground, which would require several more modifications to correct. But, being the tightwad that I am, I just make do.


Over the past few weeks, I have noticed that my radio was not receiving as well as it had previously. And this week, it seemed that no one could even hear me. So, I decide to bite the bullet and spend a few bucks... Not for a new one, no!!! Remember the sentimental value? I was just going to have an electronics man do a little fine tuning on it and purchase the extra items needed to correct that ground problem.


The next issue I needed to resolve (now that I have decided to spend the money) was where I was going to take it to be fixed. Some of those electronics guys are shady and have their preferences to which radios that they specialize in. Mine is not a common brand and most techs do not have the training for certain adjustments.....So, they tweak a few things and send you on your way, having not fixed anything.


I decided on a shop in South Carolina that I heard advertising for several months. The only drawback was the shop hours. It is owned by a Christian man, so he closes early for Church on Wednesdays. I made it in time and presented my problems. He got busy working on it while I chatted up the rest of the crew. There were three of them total. After a few hours of socializing and repairing, I was sent on my way with a $100 repair and $150 worth of new components for the total price of NOTHING. Nata ZILCH Zero. WOW!! I would like to think that there was no hidden agenda behind this act of kindness, but....... The radio Tech did seem to fancy me, and was interested in maybe getting together sometime. Ughhhh... Even if I was interested in pursuing a relationship right now.... well, I just was not attracted to him. I did explain that I would not be running this route much longer and have full intentions of moving back to Bama soon. We did have a delightful conversation and I admit that it would be great to include him on my roster of friends, but just not as someone I would date. Anyways, I once again offered to pay, and was still sent on my way without a penny spent.


So, in the spirit of giving, I feel that I need to pass something along to someone else. Any suggestions?


and I also found out that one of the fellows I was busy chatting up has a terminal illness. He was just such a delightful man with an outstanding personality. So, for those of you who are religious,I ask you to please say a prayer for Kevin. What an amazing guy!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was serious about getting you some running shoes. i have a part time gig at a running store...that means serious discount!

Mike said...

SACK LUNCHes for all!

Sally said...

How cool! Doesn't it make your day when cool stuff like that happens?

Terry said...

Thanks Siz, I sent you another email!!

Really Mike!

I know Sally, I was tickled pink.