Dec 27, 2007

Georgia Drought 2007

With the New Year approaching rapidly, it is time to dust off those resolutions. Get back on track, so to speak.

So, this week I began running/walking again. Five miles running alternating with one hour of walking every day that I am home, and out on the road with weather cooperating. I managed to get my five miles in yesterday which really helped to quiet the holiday blues that I have been experiencing since I let go of Superman. Today, I opted for one hour of walking (don't want to overwork those little muscles).



I thought this would be the perfect time to introduce you to my pleasant little jogging path. I really wish that I had taken a picture of it back before the drought, so you could see how different it looks. But at least you can get an idea.

The track is approximately a half mile course around what use to be a delightful little pond. It was home to all sorts of wildlife including deer, red fox, mallards, and the occasional Canadian Geese. Oh, and there was that Blue Heron that made an appearance last spring. But as you can see, the watering hole has dwindled drastically in size. Yes, there is water present in these photos, but that is due to a substantial amount of rain over the past few weeks. Not nearly enough to break the drought. In fact, if you click the link provided above, you will see that the predictions for 2008 are much worse.


This photo is a bit more revealing. In all actuality, one third of this shot should be nothing but water.


In fact, this is the most water I have seen in the pond in over 5 months. *sigh* and I have to yet to see any wildlife since June. It still offers a nice place to get away from it all and stretch my legs, but I hope it not destined to remain this way for much longer.

No comments: