Aug 3, 2007

The Ending Of An Era

Today, my friends, was the official final day. It's all over but the crying.





Who am I kidding? Everyone is very excited about the changes taking place with the New Trucking Co. taking over the command post. However, there are a few items of note to mention that I am a bit concerned about.


Okay, really there is just one. This week, dispatch did not go according to plans.. My beloved NE route was ripped from my very clutches. There is only one other driver who is fond of heading to the NE, and normally, he is able to do so while pulling the crane trailer. Today, there was no crane trailer to dispatch, so because he has more seniority than I do, he was able to claim my beloved route. Which left me feeling quite helpless and defenseless. Not knowing which way to turn, I chose a route that will possibly allow me to stop and have lunch with my Father... (Maybe he has some extra OKRA)...


The reason this is a concern of mine, is because gossip (very substantiated gossip) is going around that the Crane trailers are to be dismantled.... Which means I would not be first in line for the NY, CT, MA trip. Therefore, I would have to reconsider what my most beneficial plan of action might be. I lean towards the NE route because it allows me to do in 4 days what it takes the other drivers 5-6 days to do. It allows me to complete one trip and have a substantial amount of time at home each week. Otherwise, I would have to fall in among the ranks and "fight" for extra loads to earn a decent paycheck.... But is that such a bad thing? YES.......




So we will see how this plays out....


In other news, I am a SUPERSTAR!







Today I had the pleasure in starring in a video to demonstrate how to properly check load securement and open and close the different types of Conestoga Trailers that we pull. You see, the New Truckin Co has never had a flatbed division, much less trailers with tarp assemblies attached to them. So my video will be sent to the corporate office to familiarize the Management with just exactly what this division has to endure..And believe me folks, there is a lot of physical work involved with manipulating some of these trailers. It will also be used to train any new employees the proper methods of handling these trailers. It was quite a fun experience, and I cannot wait to see the actual video.. I feel it will be quite "cheesy" if you will... Maybe I will be able to post it for your amusement! The decision to have me as the star of the video is based on 1.) I have familiarity with the trailers 2.) I have quite a bit of charm (or so they tell me) and personality. 3.) They believe if the video shows a 4'11" little girl manhandling the trailers, there would be no excuse for any of the men to not be able to do it, right?!







Anyways, I had fun doing it. And have I mentioned that , so far, everyone I have met employed by The New Employer is awesome!! That might not last, as everyone falls into their respective rhythms, but at least the new Dispatcher (my Boss) has a huge personality and is quite hilarious.. I believe we will find him to be a delight to work for.







And finally, as we bid Homer adieu....







Let me mention in closing that while I have fussed about him for his job performance on several occasions, as well as many other things. I feel the need to say that he does seem to be a ummmmm decent fellow, if you get him away from work.. We have our differences, and have never established a friendship , but I am sure he is a nice guy....







So , with his permission, I give you Homer...









Can you see the resemblance??

4 comments:

Ginger said...

You know, I always pictured him as an older guy with a scowl on his face.

Love Bears All Things said...

Bye,Bye, Homer. Terry, you're being very generous.
And he is better looking than I imagined and younger. Of course, sometimes the lack beauty within ruins the picture.
Mama Bear
By the by, what's going with Batchelor #1?

Terry said...

I probably failed to mention that one of Homer's biggest issues IS the fact that he is younger than any one else on our crew, therefore he tried way too hard to prove his authority!!

lioux said...

He is TOTALLY Homeresque.