Mar 1, 2010

# 40 ~ Steve

How many windmills are in Indiana? :)

I am sure you have all heard the old joke "Why is Indiana so windy?.....Because Illinois blows and Ohio sucks !!"

Last week, on my return trip home, I was astonished to see the Indiana countryside transformed into a wind factory. Cruising along highway 41, I passed through the Benton County Wind Farm. Mile upon mile of these immense generators were stretched out as far as the eye can see.

I have passed through several of these wind farms, but nothing quite like this one..I remarked during a phone conversation, that there must be hundreds of them....My friend, Doomytunes, felt the need to give me a little grief and stated that I should quit making circles around the same 3 turbines...But I will have you know, Mr Smart Guy, there are actually 87 turbines at this particular wind farm, making it the largest operational wind farm in Indiana. However, there is a reported 310 turbines in the Benton and Tippecanoe County area, with another 175 already being placed.

Therefore, it is very possible that I did view up to a total of 485 "windmills" Next question, please!!!


Ask me anything

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

LT: Ask your friend if he has ever driven INTO the LA area coming from Palm Springs? There are more Wind Mills in that area than ONE person can count!! Also, if he travels along I-80 through Wyoming he should also see quite a few of them. I have heard that some where along I-84 (in Oregon), I THINK around Arlington, on the hill up above the Columbia River the largest Wind Mill Farm in America is being built!! Operative word here being I "THINK". I could be wrong, don't hold it against me.

John II said...

Drive up to Mojave, CA. where State Hwys 58 and 14 meet and you'll see dozens and dozen of windmills up in the mountain area.

Tachoblog said...

LittleTrucker,

Long time no hear! Hope you don't mind, but will use this picture for this week's View From The Cab on www.tachoblog.com

doomytunes said...

*grins*

Yes Bonnie I have seen those turbines in CA and WY. There is also a bunch in western, TX.