Mar 2, 2010

# 41 ~ Anonymous

When, if ever, do you think it is okay to tell a lie?

I do not think it is ever appropriate to lie to someone, even if you think you are protecting their feelings.

I have found it to be true in my own life that I would much rather know the truth and deal with it accordingly, than to be left clueless. I think it shows a sign of respect to be able to be honest with someone. I realize that there are a lot of people who think it is okay to lie, if you are protecting someone's feelings. But, I am not one of those people. Give it to me straight, so that I may be able to make my own judgement of the situation. In fact, the one thing I will not tolerate is dishonesty.

Just to clarify, I have been guilty of avoiding certain truths, but when asked point blank, I will not lie about them. I have even made the statement, "Are you sure you really want to know?". I guess that would be my version of protecting other's feelings.

I guess the simpliest explanation would be this. I feel that if you have to lie to me as a person, then you do not respect the person that I am.

Ask me anything

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

LT: Its me again...I have found that honesty is the BEST policy, PERIOD! I will give it to you as straight as you want it...But, I have also found that it is better to temper the words that one uses to say things to others, so has to not TOTALLY defeat them. I have had things said to me that would KINK a persons hair into an immediate Afro, they have been that bold an forth coming! The choices we make in life affect us, as well as the choices we make in the words that we use to say something to another person! Words are like a knife, they cat VERY deeply into another persons psychie (sp) and can have a long lasting affect on them. I know this all to well. For the first 19 years of my life I heard nothing but: "I was dumb, stupid, and would never amount to more than a Hill of beans"! Now, those words had a very negative affect on my life, I was young an EXTREMELY impressionible...And coming from one of your parents (my mom), THEY WILL HAVE A LASTING AFFECT ON YOU! I have accomplished many things in my life: graduated from Comm. College w/a 2yr. Associates Degree w/3.5 GPA; put myself through school to learn Word Processing while working 40 hrs., graduated w/Perfect Attendance AND 4.0 GPA; graduated from Truck Driver Training w/Perfect Attendance AND 4.0 GPA!! We need to be very careful in the choice of words we use when telling another person what they May, or May not, want to hear. (blczz999)

John II said...

I usually tell people "You really don't wanna know" when they ask me something and they want the truth, not my opinion or some ridicious lie.