Mar 5, 2010

# 45 ~ Anonymous

I just saw a youtube video with you and a australian man in it that has been going around the internets recently. In it you made some very strong statements about your fellow truckers, my question to you is, do you still feel that way?

Remarkable...I have been unaware of this resurfacing. This video was originally posted in March of 2009, as a compilation of the opinions of what commercial drivers think the hardest thing about trucking is.

I did take the time to watch it again and refresh my memory as to what the "strong" statements were, that I uttered. Alas, I did not find any. But for the record, I do still believe in what I did in fact, say. I do not appreciate anyone being distracted and risking my personal safety. I still don't think all CDL holders actually belong in a truck. I still believe that courtesy is on the decline. Hmm, what else did I say.. Well, you better believe I meant it when I said it the first time, and I still feel the same way.

Now does this mean I am without sin? Of course not. I have sent a text message while driving down the road. I have used my hand held phone to make calls in a hands-free area. In fact, it was while driving through New York, that I was politely reminded that NYC is a hands-free area. I told the officer to give me a minute, as I was getting directions. He said I could continue if I wanted to pay the fine....Um, yeah, I ended the call...lol

I have not ever, however, had the computer running, or a movie playing while driving down the road. I have not ever placed a book on my steering wheel to catch up on my weekend reading. I have never applied make-up to my face while driving, all things I have witnessed others do. I think, as adults, we should all use discretion. There is a time and place for everything. Now if you are traveling in a deserted area, and punch a few letters out on your phone, that is at your discretion. I myself, wont even look at my map if there is a vehicle within 500 yds of me. But then I do drive in heavily populated areas, so I do little more than drive anyways.. There are too many distractions around me without me doing something stupid, like take my eyes off of you in your little fourwheeler.

Just a special Thanks to Tami, for letting me borrow this video and present to you the statements in their entirety..But I bet you don't find anything strong about my statements either.

Ask me anything

4 comments:

doomytunes said...

BTW thanks for the link.

John II said...

I love that video clip, especially the part where you're teasing Indy and singing that song. You should be on "America's Got Talent".
Oh yeah, I did understand every word Indy said about that driver in the truck doing 70 m.p.h. on the narrow two-lane road, kicking up a trail of dust and rocks and cracking the windsheild on Indy's truck. I got a cousin and her husband who live near Brisbane, Queensland and say the trucks there have priority or right-of-way on most highways and to be careful when meeting or passing them.

Jeffro said...

Strong statement? What?

Nothing but the truth. There have always been jerks out there, but there sure has been a decline in polite drivers.

And yannow, Swift catches a lot of crap, but their drivers will flash their headlights when I'm clear far more than any other chickin' haulin' outfit out there.

Jeffro said...

Oh, and since you approve all your comments and you'll see this - I just asked to follow your tweets. If you follow my blogger profile back you can find my blog, my email addy, and my Facebook link as well - if yer interested.

I drive for a manufacturer of steel and fiberglass tanks in western KS. Lots of oilfield and ag stuff, and we're usually always oversized outbound. I drive a day cab with a knuckle boom crane and stay in motels - a sleeper would make our wheelbases too long for maneuvering on some job sites.

My trucking posts are labeled as such - I'm a conservative curmudgeon, so if you aren't - you might find some of my posts rather irritating.

Anyways, I'm putting you in my reader - I really enjoy your style, truck driver!