Mar 2, 2010

Been There, Done That

Not too much going on lately. The week before last, I sauntered through the Midwest route. Took an entire week to empty the trailer and while the miles were seemingly inadequate for the amount of time I invested, I did enjoy the relaxed pace. I was forced into several 16-18 hour breaks, but I made up for it by putting 82.15 miles on the bike that week.

Last week, I returned to my stomping grounds. And as always, found myself easily entertained by a few mishaps.


While trying to make a delivery in Long Island City, Queens, I inadvertently missed a detour. Well, I didn't really miss it. I actually decided to test my luck. At the turning point of the detour, I noticed several other vehicles proceeding forward and passing the point I assumed was the "closed" area. So, I followed them. After making the two necessary turns, I straightened up and was facing a very CLOSED bridge. Yikes..At this point there was no area large enough to turn a tractor trailer around. Good thing I was pulling a 45' trailer, because I was able to just barely wiggle way my through a One-Way street (the wrong way) in order to back out into a tiny side street and reposition myself for the detour. The customer receiving area is on a back alley, and I was also forced to enter this from the wrong direction as well, due to load placement. I have several customers who hand unload. This resulted in me having to back up another 3 blocks, narrowly avoiding parked cars. Good Times.

The next morning, I arrived at my Connecticut customer for my usual 5:30 am delivery appointment. The two fellas who open the warehouse were running late. Someone else showed up about 15 minutes later to open the warehouse. Normally, they head straight for the overhead door and let me in, but after 10 minutes, I decided I might need to actually go check in. Good thing, too. The new guy had locked himself out of the office area and was stuck in the darkened warehouse because he forgot to flip the breaker, meaning he could not open the overhead door. When I walked in the door, I noticed him standing in the darkened window. After slipping through the office, I was able to flip the breaker and unlock the door for him...

Other than that, not too much to report. I am dealing with the repercussions of an online feud that developed on Twitter. Seems someone took it personally when I called my truck an "asshole". Frankentruck took it in stride because he IS a local bully when it comes to running The City, but the online individual has made this a personal vendetta and I do not welcome the drama. Besides, I am not a fan of those who believe that everything in life is a conspiracy against them. Life is made up of about 5% of what happens to you, and 95% of how you react to it.

And, just for the record, Frankentruck is the name of my truck! Not some code word for any single person on the face of this planet.....But I am excited that my words were able to cause such a reaction as to make your life more meaningful. How sad that you have nothing better to do with your time than to let your guilty conscience cause unnecessary duress in your existence. Have fun with that.

Shheeeesh !!


3 comments:

David M. Howell said...

So much wisdom for such a little package. Love it. Keep writing.

doomytunes said...

I tried my luck like that once. I was literally 1 mile from my delivery and tried the "local Traffic only" road closure. Ran into a big sign that said "warning NO TRUCKS! $1000 FINE". Seeing that I didn't have an extra grand on me I had to go 20 miles out of the way to get to the customer.

I once wrote a song about being in control of one's own life. You should hear it.

John II said...

I made a delivery in Truckee, CA one time to a group of employees who were working alongside a railway line. However the delivery was on a cliff side and if anybody has driven on I-80, you know what I'm talking about. Lucky for me, I was driving a dump truck and not pulling a tag-a-long flatbed trailer. Did a sharp U-turn on the cliff, use a boom truck to unload about 6000 pounds of railroad materials, and off I went deadheading home empty.
As for your fued with this person on Twitter, do let it get you down. I've called trucks I've driven names: Piece Of Crap, Worthless Scrap Metal, Hunk Of Junk, You Sumbitch (like in the movie "Smokey And The Bandit"), Lazy Bastard, and so on.