May 18, 2008

Driver's Appreciation Day

On Saturday, The New Employer held a BBQ in honor of all of us awesome drivers on the Alum Co Account.

There were activities for the children (including a huge blow up playscape) and even some for the adults, which included a dunk tank which enabled us to show our boss man how we really feel!!The weather cooperated and it was a lovely day. (It has rained every weekend for the past month or so). Also the location on the banks of the Chattahoochee River offered some nice scenary. Plenty of food for all, and prizes were given a way, at random, to everyone including spouses. I myself scored a lovely $50 gift card to O' Charleys.... Anybody hungry?



It was a wonderful gesture, to which I have mixed emotions.


Overall, I felt really good about the entire event. I got to meet some of the wives of my co-workers, whom I have been working with for 6 years!! Being a little social butterfly, I made the rounds and greeted everyone. I did however, have reservations about a few of the wives. When I first joined the team, several of the wives wanted to kick me arse!! Talk about being redneck and/or trashy!. Damn Woman, I do not want your old man!! But I did not avoid these women... I sauntered right up and offered an introduction... Boy, it got chilly!! Even after all these years, you could have cut the tension with a knife.


Let me enlighten you as to what had happened to invoke such animosity and you be the judge. The first woman, wife of a 65 year old driver, I will refer to as Jessica Rabbit (although, there is no physical comparison)...... The very first trip I was assigned to led me to our plant in Kentland , Indiana. First trip, therefore I had no idea where it was at. I was to pick up a load there and deliver it in Iowa on Monday. I had to leave on Saturday to make my Monday appointments. The Boss had given me Roger Rabbit's phone number so he could assist me, as he was traveling the same route that week. I appreciated the offer to show me the ropes, but obviously Jessica did not. I placed a phone call to his home, and she answered. When I asked to speak to Roger, she went ballistic. He did indeed lead me to Kentland, but with not so much a single word spoken in polite conversation. She has never liked me since.


The second wife in question is the spouse of one of our mechanics. Years ago, I placed a late night phone call requesting help. I believe I had a flat tire on my trailer. We had been instructed to phone our mechanics as someone would be on call. A few weeks later, I started to receive anonymous phone calls, that were promptly cut off when answered... One such evening, I received a phone call. The caller ID told me it was from the Mechanic. So I answered. It was his wife. She asked who I was, as the number showed up on her phone bill and she did not recognize it. I explained that I was a driver and had requested a tire change late one evening. She seemed to be appeased at this point. But at 2AM, she called again, wanting to know who the hell I thought I was phoning her husband at inappropriate hours of the evening, and just what the hell I wanted... 2AM, people!!!! The first call, I let go unmentioned.. The second one made me angry. I reported it to Homer. Nothing was ever said to the Mechanic.


After a few more hang-up calls, I approached the Mechanic and told him I did not appreciate his wife calling me in the middle of the night and making crude insinuations about me. He was shocked, knowing nothing. Homer had never mentioned it to him. It seems Homer just thought I was trying to stir up trouble. I told the mechanic if he was having difficulties in his marriage to please keep me out of it. I am just here for a paycheck! Needless to say, she has never been friendly with me!


So, was it justified. Regardless, I approached both women and made a friendly gesture to each, it was regarded with scorn and hatred. Oh well, I tried.


Another aspect of the gathering that irritated me was the time frame. Our letter of invitation indicated the festivities would be from 11 to 3. I arrived at 12:30.. Two other Drivers arrived at 1:30. At approximately 1pm, everyone started to disperse. I was still around when the two families arrived late. The other drivers were leaving without so much as a hello to them... The last hour of the gathering was the best. It was me and the Boss's family, and the two late arrivals. I enjoyed playing with the children and you could tell the Boss' family was in a rush to leave, the food was all packed up. I promptly began unwrapping the goodies and serving the late arrivals. Damn, they drove an hour and a half to be here! Act like you are glad they came! We did manage to stretch the fun until 3pm, which is what our invitation stated to begin with, but the children's activities were all dismantled at 1pm. So we chased tadpoles through the streams. I guess you could say I sort of took over!


Were you really going to just leave them hanging, because they showed up later than you wanted them to? Ugh.... What is wrong with people today?


Okay, enough aggression.


I was astonished to see the Owner, President and two CEO's present at our little gathering. This is quite a large company, and to have them join us (out of their home state) on a Saturday Afternoon get together made me feel even better about my current employers. To speak with any of them, you would never realize the importance of any one of them. Just one big happy family.
In 5 years, the previous employer never once acknowledged our existence, much less the contributions we made to the company. Not Once!!


And on a personal note, everyone of the White Collar variety sought me out and told me how they had heard such wonderful things about little ol' me! Not many folks want to attempt to run the Concrete Jungle, and to have such a pleasant driver on the route sure did please them to no end!!! Hey, just doing my job!! But it sure felt good to have them pat me on the back and mention my name... I am not just another driver.. woot woot!!


7 comments:

Sally said...

Those old gals need to step off! (I don't reallly know what that means, but it sounded cool)

I've had similar issues/concerns since I'm a female in the manufacturing industry. I always tried to become friends w/ the wives when I could - more for my own need for female friends than anything. I think I would be a little nervous about my hubby working with a bunch of women, but I'm a jealous person. But, I never got any wacko phone calls in the middle of the night!

Love Bears All Things said...

All I can say is: unless the husband gave them something that made them worry, they're are very insecure. I would never feel threatened by a female co worker. I am secure in my Man's love and fidelity.
The fact that you are in a rig on the road makes this all a bit foolish to me.
Maybe the kitty will adopt you. Smokey is in my lap asleep as I write.
I'm glad you had a chance to spend time with your Dad on your Birthday. Heard You'd be in Bama later for the May party.
When are you moving?
Mama Bear

Terry said...

Sally, there are only two females working with these guys.. I am out on the road, so I never see them anyway. We are just employed by the same company. But seriously, why would any one want someone elses husband? If they cheat on their wife, they will cheat on you. I think a little jealousy is healthy, but the full blown green eyed monster is ridiculous!!

Mama Bear, I think the mechanic might have been cheating on her to begin with, but it was not with me!!! And I was kind of hoping the kitty would adopt me too! I went and bought him some food today, if he happens to show up next week when I return home. He slept with me last night :) And the unofficial moving date is October. Still doing research on transfer options.

maddie said...

ugh. those women suck. i've been the recipient of jealous women before as well and it's just awful, especially since i've never given them anything to be jealous of. and since i'm not a jealous person by nature, it's all just silliness to me and a ton of insecurity to boot. i'm sorry they acted that way but i'm so glad you've taken the high road. :-)

Unknown said...

I've had some similar experiences. I rode with my husband for several years when he worked at a small company before getting my cdl and the wives of the other employees were ok with me as a passenger but that all changed when I started driving. I think everything would have been different if we had remained as team drivers but as soon as the company would take me as a solo driver we drove separate trucks. completely different attitudes then.

Oh, and then there were the male drivers that claimed my husband backed my truck into all the docks, never mind that we would be in different cities or even states.

Gabrielle

*~*Cece*~* said...

I love your stories of the road and your pictures! Sorry I've been a bad blogger & havent' been around much.

Terry said...

And Shell, if you were to see these fellows... Ugh.. missing teeth, greasy hair, and potbellies!! Oh well, I do feel empathy for the women, though.. Why would anyone want to live a life full of jealousy and hatred.....But it is the life they chose!!

Hey Gabrielle, I know what you mean... I hate that people are so quick to assume our SHORTcomings as women drivers... My crew will attest that I am the BEST at backing a trailer... Even the customer's constantly remind the other drivers that the little girl can do it better!! And as for the men, just this week while cruising down the road, I had another driver ask which flatbed I was RIDING in??


Oh Cece, just stop by when you can!! I have been horrible myself, but I still heart you!!