May 18, 2008

Running Scared


I have been trying to really stick with my running this year... Only being home three days a week and tons of thunderstorms has not yet deterred me... Okay, so I am only running 50 miles a month, but I just haven't seemed to be able to talk myself into running while out on the road....


I am averaging about 6 miles per run, so I am doing very well in that aspect.


Still a bit s.....l.....o......w.........


Last week, while enjoying my barely more than a walk pace ,an older man approached from the opposite direction and asked if he could join me.... Upon looking at him I deducted, Yeah, I could take him if he turned out to be a perv..... Quick kick to the knee and he would drop like a little girl. But, he did look like a legitimate runner, so I said, "Sure, but I am slow".


He was a great deal taller than me, but who isn't, so naturally his stride was longer... As always I was 3 steps to his 2 (story of my life)... His pace was slow to start, but quickly began to build. He glanced over his shoulder and urged me to keep up.... I tried, really I did....And pacing myself to another individual always motivates me, so we went at it for a mile. An intense, leg quivering, heart pounding mile...


Then he left.....


I finished up my run a little faster than my previous turtle pace and felt really exhilarated...


This week, I decided to check myself. So, I set out at a comfortable pace, and slowly built speed. At the end of 5 miles, I was astonished to find out it took 54 minutes... I know, I know..... An eleven minute mile... I got short legs!!!! I was thrilled, thinking I had shaved quite a bit off my 5 mile time from the previous year.. I just knew I had!!!!


But according to my previous post on running the Helen Keller 5 mile, I had only finished one minute quicker.... HUH????


The good news is that I am no longer walking!! I can run the entire distance at a snail's pace...But hey, I am running it.....


Now to quicken my pace!!

4 comments:

Sally said...

Sounds like you're making progress! Good job checking the guy out before deciding to run with him. =)

Terry said...

I am pretty niave when it comes to assessing situations, but after those last two freaks who were obviously misplaced, I tend to pay more attention when I run.... How hard would it be to grab a little girl when she is winded from running!!

Unknown said...

It is so cool finding another truck driver that is a runner!! We're kind of rare, lol. I'm on my 3rd week off work healing up a broken collar bone from a bicycle ride gone wrong.

Gabrielle

Terry said...

Gabrielle...How rare indeed!! Hey, I will race you to the buffet... I am parking in fuel island number 2.... ha/ha/ha.....

Hope you recover quickly...:) and it is wonderful to see another trucker sooooo active!!running, spinning, cycling, kayaking, You are my hero!!!