May 8, 2008

The Long Road Ahead

I get tickled when I stumble across those wet behind the ear truckdrivers who have not gained enough experience to breeze through the day without losing it. I remember being nervous and naive. I am not criticizing them, because I was a rookie too! A word of advice, take your time. You will learn the ropes if you don't let it stress you out...


This week I stumbled upon one such driver and I didn't have the heart to tell him he should quit while he is ahead.


Coming out of Milford Connecticut, I was berated and cursed for tailgating. Over the CB, I was told to back off or move over, just get the hell away from him. He did not appreciate cars tailgating him and could not understand why a Truck Driver would do it. It is dangerous. What if he had to slam on the breaks? What if he blew a tire? What if he had to swerve to avoid a deer? What would I do, being stuck up his ass? I was an inconsiderate bitch. He attempted to move left and let me pass on the right, but he noticed I was already moving left, preparing to merge with freeway traffic. So he slowed and literally waved me by with one finger furiously gesturing at me. His CB tirade lasted for a few minutes.


While making the pass, I noticed him braking and moving even further to the right.


Yes, I was only ten feet behind him. At a traffic light, doing 10 mph. Gaining momentum for the freeway entrance ramp, he had a heavy load and was slow to shift. I was nearly empty and skipping gears. He cursed me the entire length of the ramp for tailgating. To which I responded, " Should I have waited for the next green light? "


I haven't noticed any deer grazing on the entrance ramps and is it really swerving at 10mph? You cannot blow a tire at 10mph, you may have a flat but probably would not notice it at this point?! And as for slamming on the brakes, once again I ask, can you do this at 10 MPH?


I can't help but wonder how long he will last as a Trucker, because when have you ever been stopped at a red light and not had someone "tailgate" you when it turned green. There is no way to avoid it!! I will admit, he did look terrified as I passed him. But seriously, if driving makes you that nervous, maybe you should not choose it as a profession...... hmmmmm



2 comments:

Gypsy said...

Hey, thanks for your comments and advice on my blog! All the tips I've gotten online from more experienced truckers, especially the female drivers, have been really encouraging.

See you on the road,
Gypsy

Terry said...

I just hope you don't get discouraged.. Can't wait to read the book :)