Jul 2, 2009

Busty Wonder

Rusty
2004-2009
Rest In Peace

I loved this little guy. Meet Rusty. Rusty was my brothers dog. One day, several years back, he came strolling through the neighborhood (a victim of abandonment) and decided that he was going to make himself at home. It did not take long at all to claim him as a member of the family.

Rusty was well cared for, and absolutely cherished. He was one of the best tempered dogs I have ever been exposed to. We all loved him. But last Sunday, Rusty was savagely attacked by some neighboring canines. Rusty has always been confined to his yard and was never allowed to roam freely about the neighborhood. One of the neighbors had a female who was in heat and they decided it was a good idea to let her roam about freely at night. Of course, you can imagine the havoc caused by this. Not only was Rusty attacked in his own yard, but another family pet who lived two houses away was also injured in another battle. I am not sure if the other innocent dog survived, but Rusty died from extensive injuries 5 days later. The offenders were owned by a man who lived a few houses away and he refused to keep his dogs in the fence. In fact, his dogs are now somewhat running with a pack of strays.

I am very sad! And I could rant and rave about this for quite awhile.

What we have here is just another prime example of people being stupid and irresponsible. This did not have to happen! Rusty did not have to be killed this way. He was still young but because one person thought it was okay to let a bitch dog in heat run wild at night, and another thought his not so friendly beasts were also not required to be confined, and then there are all of those people who want a puppy and after a few months, they drop them off in a field or down a deserted road because they no longer want the responsibility. I am angry!! so very angry!!

but mostly

I am very sad.... I love you Busty Wonder!!


11 comments:

Love Bears All Things said...

Ohhh, I'm sorry. I think all animals should be spayed and neutered. That would cut down on this sort of violence.
Hope you had a good week, otherwise.
Mama Bear

dgfiskemt said...

The best dog I ever had was abused and abandoned and found his way to our back door. My parents tried not to notice him for a while but there was something about him and we bonded. He was my buddy from then on. I lost him a week after my first son was born. I've never really gotten attached to another dog since.


R.I.P. Rusty

The Wondering Brit said...

I suggest a shotgun!!

Unknown said...

sorry :-(

I kinda agree with TWB on the shotgun.........

Once things aren't so raw you'll have to tell us the story behind the "Busty Wonder" name.

Hope to see you next week.

Todays Walk said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Rusty. I feel your pain. I had to put my Best friend of 12+ years down in May. I promise, it does get easier. In some states it's legal to shot another dog on your own property, if any animal (2 legged or 4 legged) is being threatened. I was very careful to not allowing Kaci to roam around, for her safety. I hope everything works out on your brothers case in this matter.

Indy said...

I haven't been on line for a couple of days (and this is going to be only a moment). Although I was aware of Rusty's passing, reading this post renews the angst and the anger.

I heard the sadness and the anguish in your voice the other day and I felt singularly ill equipped to say anything at the time. That remains the same - I still feel inadequate to comment.

I can say that, looking at Rusty's photo, it is easy to see why you loved him so. Some dogs (like a very small number of people) you get a "feel" about them immediately and he looks like an intelligent and wonderfully natured little chap, straight away.

As for the strays .... the problem isn't the strays, per se` - it is the humans around them. THEY should be prevented from owning ANY animal and it probably would be a good idea to have them (the people) neutered as well as their animals.

I know and empathise with your anger. There's lttle more than I can say other than you (and Rusty) and those who knew him are in my thoughts.

doomytunes said...

You are right people do suck. Sorry that your friend is no longer with us.

cathunter370 said...

So sorry for your loss. He looked like a good pet just by the picture but more than that I know he was family. I am a firm believer in what goes around comes around. May the memories outweigh the pain tenfold.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been keeping up on my blog reading lately. I'm so sorry for the lose that your family is going through. Some people don't understand that a pet is more than just a dog or a cat, they are family. My the pain in ya'lls heart be replaced by the wonderful memories and love that Rusty gave ya'll.

Terry said...

I appreciate all the comments, and would love to reply to each one individually....

But everytime, I look at this post and see his picture, it renews the emotions of this loss. He was a great little dog!!

Thank you, all!!

Gary said...

so sorry to hear of the loss of a family friend. i've been out of the loop for awhile and am trying to catch up, so i haven't been commenting on anything. but i couldn't read this without giving you some kind of support. Gary.