Jul 28, 2009

Day Two Point Five... Back To Work

I just absolutely could not finish the last post on a sour note, especially after the wonderful gift that had been given to me. A lot of people doubted me when I stated that the seat was the source of my anguish, but I am even more so a believer, however, there is more to be told....


During the 1350 mile turn around to Miami, I discovered that #1. my inverter was no longer working AGAIN, and #2. I still was not maintaining traction with my rear axle. As weird as it may seem, this is not one of my fabulous delusions. In fact , I have proof. This picture was taken with a 42, 000 lb load strapped to my back.

Notice all the other tire marks!! In the center, you can plainly see my drive axles have left no discerning tire tread marks. In the bottom picture you will notice my steer tire tread pattern and once again, the rear drive axle just seems to skim across the top, erasing the marks left by the forward axle.


What does all of this mean??


It means that because the new leveling valve did not correct the problem, and my warranty runs out in 300 miles, I have to swap trucks. AGAIN.... For the 29th time since getting the New Volvo....It is beyond ridiculous, at this point. The lack of traction results in a very dangerous situation. For instance, while driving on a road riddled with construction patches, the axles will alternate providing my point of friction. This results in the feeling of slipping and sliding when the traction changes from one axle to the other and back again. Confused yet? It is even worse in the rain. While trying to steer through a turn in the rain, the traction displaces itself and the truck will slip a few inches to either side. It is very unnerving.

But back to the matter at hand. After the Miami run, I swap into Mister T's old truck and begin my scrap run. Within one hour of setting sail, the first indications of a dismal week become painfully obvious. You see, Mister T was a pretty big fella too, and naturally his seat was also contoured to his frame, meaning I am once again doing all I can to not fall into the shifter, planting and bracing myself to stay in the sagging crater of worn out foam. Before 2 hours had passed, the nerves and joints and hairs on my leg were protesting the switch. I still cannot take any meds because my schedule is very full and I could not risk resembling a drooling half-witted moron, while maintaining my image of the most awesomest ever truck drivah, under 5' tall.

I realize that I may not get Frankentruck back for next week's run, and this is also got me feeling a bit deflated. You know, it has almost reached a point where I would possibly begin to consider looking for work elsewhere.....I cannot continue on in this fashion. I will not ruin my body for this job.

And I forgot to mention...When I arrived at the plant to grab the Miami load, the trailer had flat tires!!

As for my current load..... because the Company forgot to notify my fourth customer of delivery, I am being laid over for 23 hours. Yep. I could have delivered this customer at 10:00 am, but due to neglect on my company's part, they are holding me over until 9am tomorrow.

I am soooooooo ready to go home!!!!


2 comments:

John II said...

(Imitating Disney's Hi-Ho song from "Snow White & The Seven Dwarves")
B.S., B.S.,
the little trucker is feeling some stress,
going back to work thanks to her boss the jerk
B.S.(X 5),
driving north, south, east and west,
she's going back and forth, and now's heading to Dallas/Ft. Worth?!
B.S.(X 5),
the deliveries are such a mess,
from ATL to NYC, don't forget Boston, Hartfort, and Philly
B.S.(X 4)
Okay, so I thought you could use a laugh...

doomytunes said...

Comment # 4: Ok I am running out of smart donkey comments. We have a flat bed division.