Jun 22, 2009

Off And Running....That Is

As some of you may be aware, I have been trying to get back into running. Seems I have had a rough go of it this year. I bought new shoes (were actually fitted for these) to replace my worn out ones and have just not quite gained any momentum. My legs scream in agony after a short trot, so I decided that maybe I had become extremely unfit in the past 8 months.


I began a new program and seemed to fall right into a comfortable stride. That is until I hit the 2 mile mark. Doesn't matter if it is walking or running, after two miles, my legs will no longer cooperate.

I decided maybe I should just give up on running for awhile and concentrate on becoming a little more fit. I opted for five mile walks. Once again, after only a short while, my legs were in agony. Hips, knees, ankles and muscles that I have never used before, all revolting against my wishes.

I have noticed my pace is slowing with every run, and although I am no where near breathless, I just cannot complete a good run. Grrrrrr.. I was running 6-7 miles at a time one year ago!!

Saturday, I set out on my 5 mile walk, and it was not long before I wanted to phone someone to come pick me up. I was done. It was then that I looked down and noticed my shoes. You see, I have always walked/run on the outer edges of my feet. These shoes were causing me to strike at almost a flat step. I watched in amazement as the realization hit me. These shoes (fitted specifically for me) were causing me to twist all of my joints in a way that was unnatural to me.



However, I was determined to not give up entirely. On Sunday, I had decided to check out a road I had been eyeballing in Virginia and get a few miles in for the day. I left my new (fitted specifically for me) shoes at home, but that was not going to stop me. I dug out my old shoes, laced them up and set out for 4 exhilarating miles.







Seems the little road was a perfect place for my workout. I met a group of 7 cyclists, another pair of runners, some cows, horses and 4 dogs.
Nothing but the picturesque Appalachian Mountains to my east, and several horse farms to my west. I
originally set out to walk the entire distance, but after 2 miles, I thought.....I want to run!!.....So run, I did. And there was absolutely no discomfort. It was divine. A beautiful day with lots of fluffy white clouds shading me the entire time, 78 degrees and a relaxing breeze.

There is hope for me yet!! And just for the record, I began running again on May 9th and to date have accumulated over 75 miles. Not bad considering they were 75 very painful miles!!

7 comments:

Love Bears All Things said...

I was going to suggest it was the shoes but sounds like you found that out, yourself. I bet they weren't absorbing the shock of the road as well as throwing you natural body posture off and that is why you were having so much pain. I hope they didn't cost too much.
Mama Bear

Indy said...

Wow! I have seen that road before, somewhere! Okay, so it wasn't THAT road, but what a ripper!!!! :-)It could very well be Downunder. I am so glad you have some such roads left! :-)

Glad to see that you really are having some consistency in your life. I mean, the mechanics can't fit an inverter and the shoe man can't fit shoes! You're on a real roll!

I can report that the shoe man (and probably the mechanics) are very fortunate people that you are the calm, sweet, gorgeous young lady that you are and that they haven't encountered me, because if they did that to me surely the mechanic would find a whole new ..... position for his drill .... and the shoe man may look funny and walk funny from a "return of a different kind".
I really am a very gentle man, but after a while certain things become very old, very quickly and some people only understand one language.
There is one good thing about all of these incidents! They make wonderful blog posts!!!! Hahahahaha
Good luck with your future adventures!
Are you sure you don't want me to visit and talk sweetly to these people? Hahaha

Steve2.Net said...

Oooh I do know the pain of ill-fitting shoes. I bought a pair of sandals at a garage sale for a buck and wore em a few days - they through my whole darn spine out of whack!! I threw them evil things away. I recently decided I like Birkenstocks :) PS: Thanks for dropping in on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Glad you figured out what was going on with the shoes. It is weird how we all are different and even so called experts (shoe guy) who think they know everything can still get it wrong (specially fitted shoes). People think I'm strange because the most comfortable pair of shoes I own are actually boots, but they just fit me perfectly which is rare considering I'm extremely flat-footed. If I'm going some place where I will be doing a lot of walking, I make sure to wear my boots. I'm getting worried though...I need a new pair and I haven't been able to find this exact brand. I have these so worn down that there is absolutely no tread on the soles.

Beautiful pic...I would love to check out that road some day.

Unknown said...

I absolutely love runs like that! Soooo glad that you found one on your route--hopefully you'll find a couple of others to make up for the dratted parking lot/frontage road ones.

Gabby

Unknown said...

Terry, having some trouble finding a 5k in October that's fairly close to my house. If you don't mind traveling an additional 1.5 hrs the Downtown Fall Fest 5k at Russellville (James' and my hometown area) is on the 31st. Nice flat course and good food afterwards. The 17th and 24th are grand prix races (a 10k and 1/2 marathon) so those dates are out.

Still hoping some more races will be added to the calendar.

John II said...

Think you'll be ready for the Boston Marathon or Los Angeles Marathon?