Jul 3, 2009

Running Scared

It seems I just cannot get ahead. Whether it concerns trucking, or any number of different aspects regarding life outside of the truck. I don't feel as if I complain too much openly, but I do feel the intensity of it all weighing down on me physically.


Just this week, for instance, I have been having major problems with my legs. In regards to the running shoes, it seems that having been so determined to have a good mileage to record for the month, I may have possibly harmed myself by wearing the wrong shoes. In fact, for the month of June, I completed a total of 60.25 miles, which is my highest mileage ever for a one month period. While that may not be so impressive to die hard runners, it is quite a respectable accomplishment to me. The problem is that I was using a rigid shoe for stability. Not what I needed!! This in fact threw my entire body out of alignment and every joint began to ache. So, I opted to use my alternate shoes which were less rigid. And, while they were great for my foot strike, they had absolutely no cushioning, which resulted in very tender knees. I pressed on however.

This week, I was almost in panic mode when I noticed my knees and ankles were swelling, and there was an unusual amount of numbness in my legs. I did work a very high mileage week with very few breaks to stretch my legs, but the discomfort was so intense, at one point I had begun to worry that I would have to give up exercising, driving a truck, or possibly both. I believe I would be more able to give up running, as I could swap it for something of lower impact such as cycling. But driving? It is my livelihood. How would I cope? What would I do?? I regret to announce that I am not trained or educated to the degree of earning a salary to that which I am accustomed. I am completely self dependent, and if I had to give up driving, I have no idea what would happen to me. I thought about looking for a rich old man to fall in love with, but decided against that option. It would be nice to have someone to fall back on, if times got hard, but sadly, I have no significant other. And truthfully, I have never had any intention of growing old in a truck. Guess I better start making plans for my future, eh?? I don't think it would be too bad, if I could find something local and was home every night, but I just do not see me driving all over God's Creation when I am a little old lady.

So, for now, I have made a few alterations.

I have purchased a pillow to sit on, to raise my derriere up and prevent the seat from cutting off my circulation. I am planing to stop more often for walk breaks, and I got fitted (once again) for new running shoes.

Amazingly enough, I found out today that I have a perfect foot strike!! YAY!! What that means is the only requirement that my feet have when it comes to running shoes is the level of cushioning I require. That is exactly what I thought even when the other store recommended a rigid shoe for stability. I was videotaped while running and my foot strike is perfectly aligned. I got back into a pair of Sauconys and felt as if I was walking in the clouds. Took them for a test run, and had no immediate discomfort. So, I now have 3 pairs of running shoes. This is getting expensive!! sheesh... I do have the option of returning this pair if they do not work out, but they felt divine. I will find out tomorrow how they feel with several miles on them. The last pair of comfortable shoes I had were also Saucony, but they broke down quickly. I was told that this pair was rated for about 400-500 miles. The last ones I was able to run in only lasted about 200. Here's to hoping I can get more than 3-4 months out of this pair. But I am stoked!! I also learned of a few running trails in the area, and of some weekly fun runs. Also got signed up for event alerts. Sadly, the store did not have its own running team, like Gabby and her Cabot Cruisers, but later when I get a little more confidence built up, I will search for my own local crew to run with. The fun runs will be a great place to start as far as meeting some running buddies.

I seem to be rambling, but that is my latest update on the misfortunes that are ever present. Hopefully, I can get the leg issues worked out...Stay tuned....

9 comments:

Unknown said...

ugh.......shoe and seat problems, been there. I FINALLY have my truck seat back where it's supposed to be. Evidently one of the mechanics changed the position that I had it locked in and it took me a month to figure out what was wrong--MAJOR D'OH! Felt like an idiot.

Glad you got refitted and YAY on the perfect foot strike. Finding some new trails and people to run with will also keep ya happier.

BTW, I'm going to fuss at you a little, you should have called me this week with everything going wrong. I was home so no having to deal with the bluetooth issues and besides I have a bee-yoo-tee-full new Iphone to talk on (I'm thrilled with it so far!)

Gabby

Unknown said...

Oh, forgot to add--the moment you start feeling any knee pain or achiness then it's time to get new shoes no matter the mileage or age. I'm going to have to retire my current pair fairly soon and they only have 226 miles and 2 months of use, grrr

Love Bears All Things said...

I'm glad that you found some shoes that you can run in comfortably. It may take a few days for the imflamation to go away in your knees. By all means, stop often to stretch. I think the recomendation is at least every 2 hours. Another thing we have to watch out for in sitting so much is blood clots forming in our legs under the knee. I don't know if you have cruise in your truck but if you do and are using it, you might stretch out your legs from time to time just to keep the blood flowing. I do that when I'm driving or riding in a car and also on the plane when I'm flying.
Have a great weekend,
Mama Bear

Indy said...

This industry can't do without you - seriously. Hope you resolve the issues.

John II said...

Need a massage?

Terry said...

Gabby, I think I figured out the seat adjustment. One turn away and the front of the seat dropped, but I still need to get out and walk more. I am notorious for driving long extended periods without stopping.

Awwww, Indy....seriously though, Truck Drivers are a dime a dozen, I think only MY customers would miss me. Well, and maybe the Alum Co...

John II....to go along with that shoulder, or those arms?? Actually, now that you mention it, I could use a little pampering.

Gary said...

looking for a husband, huh? where do i pick up an application? and is the "rich" part a deal breaker? i hope you are still monitoring these comments...

John II said...

You want a little pampering, little lady? Then a little pampering you shall recieved. Now, where did I leave the fireman's outfit so I can make your fanasty come true......

Terry said...

HA HA HA Gary, shows how much you are paying attention.. I never said I was looking for a husband, just a RICH old man to fall in love with so when he slipped off the banana peel, I would be set for life...Of course, I do hope you know I am not being serious at all....I would never fall in love for money.