Jul 7, 2009

What's In A Name

Everything has a name. Whether it is a common noun, or Proper Name, all things are identified. Some of you may be unaware of this (not the part about nouns, duh), but most of our States have been renamed by the Truck Driving community. Of course, some of the nicknames are fairly obvious and we cant lay claim to be the brilliant ones who thought of such wonderful nicknames, but some are truly generated from the minds of my fellow Concrete Cohorts. For example, can you tell me which State would be known as the Keystone? How about the Bluegrass? Of course you can. But how about the Bikini , Shakey or the Hillbilly. Well maybe those are fairly obvious too.


Okay, let's try cities......Smoke? No, I am not asking you if you would like to....Which city is known as Smoke? Guitar? Circle City? MonkeyTown, MickeyMouse, Little Cuba, Cigar, Cowtown, Armadillo, Brickyard, Beantown, K-town, E-town, Big A, Big D...

...and I am seriously digressing. So, back to the matter at hand.



Missouri is most commonly referred to as The Show Me State. This may, or may not be appropriate in all aspects, but today, it certainly was, and naturally, I think kudos are in order.

Today, while traversing the I-70 Corridor, I was pleasantly surprised. Every time I turned my blinker on, a car slowed down and let me change lanes. Every time there was merging ramp traffic, all vehicles accommodated those who wished to enter the rat race. Every time a Police Officer had a subject apprehended on the shoulder of the road, everyone moved to the left. Every time there was a lane closure, everyone had merged well before the lane ended. Everyone! Every time!

Show Me, indeed. It seems that we can get along and behave properly on the interstates. Of course, there were alot of girls showing their legs as well, according to the truckers. But that is not what made me so proud.

Thanks Missouri, for showing me a good time. Thanks for giving me reason to have a little faith in my fellow travelers. Because , you know as well as I do, that there are a lot of idiots out on the roads who are only concerned with themselves.


9 comments:

The Wondering Brit said...

Errr... That almost sounds like the Twilight Zone.
Sure you weren't smoking something?
LOL

Todays Walk said...

It's amazing that some parts of the country, people drive with manors and some don't. I've also experienced that in some states, also "the sticky state" (what I call "show me state"). The last time I drove thru DT St L, it was about 5am and glad for that hour. That place is banked like a race track build only 24 foot wide. LOL...

John II said...

TWB's right. That's does sound like something out of the Twlight Zone...or you took a detour through Mister Roger's Neighborhood.
-Won't you please-
-Won't you please-
-Please won't you be...my neighbor?

Sally said...

Now you need to do a post w/ the real names of all those cities...I haven't had enough coffee to try to figure it out myself. =) Y'know, for all of us non-truckers out there.

Todays Walk said...

Let me see if I can figure them out. Smoke=Richmond Va; Guitar=Nashville; Circle City=DC; Monkey Town=L.A; Mickey Mouse=Orlando; Little Cuba=Miami; Cigar=?, Cowtown=Pueblo; Armadillo=Amarillo; Brickyard=Charlotte, NC; K-Town=Kansas City; E-town=Elizabeth ?, Mo; Big A=Atlanta; Big D-Denver. How did I do? :)

Terry said...

TWB....oh no, not the exhaust fumes again... I can assure you that I am not smoking anything intentionally.

John II, I am actually a bigger fan of Captain Kangaroo, BUT, Mr GreenJeans was my favorite. And yes.

Sally,
Keystone = Pennsylvania
Bluegrass = Kentucky
Bikini = Florida
Shakey = California
Hillbilly = West Virginia

Smoke = Birmingham, Al
Guitar = Nashville
Circle City = Indianapolis
MonkeyTown = Montgomery, Al
MickeyMouse = Orlando
Little Cuba = Miami
Cigar = Tampa
Cowtown = Ft Worth
Armadillo = Amarillo
Brickyard = (also) Indianapolis
Beantown = Boston
K-town = Knoxville, Tn
E-town = Elizabethtown, Ky
Big A = Atlanta
Bid D = Dallas

Today'sWalk, ohhhhh, well you get an E for effort. Looks like you scored a 30 percent, but I also think region has alot to do with it. For example, I know of 4 cities that are referred to as THE Circle City, but of the ones I travel through, Indianapolis is the top choice. I have never heard of DC being called that. And the Brickyard also refers to the race in Indy. Richmond could be referred to as SMOKE, but I have always known it to be B'ham. LOL, Thanks for playing. If you know any more, please share.

Todays Walk said...

Now I would have guest Vermont as Keystone. Don't get NE much. :) Richmond is Cig town too. I'd guess my score is closer to half. DC is my favorite guess, because those people just go in circles and never get anywhere... LOL Brickyard could be Daytona too... Beantown could be Dove Creek, Co sense they produce most of our Pinto Beans LOL

doomytunes said...

Woo Hoo Missouri rules!!! We're #1!!!
But.....You didn't come visit me while in MO. This saddens me. Oh wait...I wouldn't have been around because I am in TX today. Oh well.

Indy said...

Must be something about truck drivers the world over, Terry. We have to make up our own names and we have a few doozies here as well.

Thanks for the translation you did for Sally.

Hope all is well!

Hugs