Jul 28, 2009

In the Beginning...

I really do not know where to start, because of all the topics I listed on the last post, well, they all relate to one another, so Maybe I should do this by the day instead of the trying to separate the different topics... Yeah, That sounds good


DAY ONE ( Florida Vacation )

As you should be aware, I headed to the Sunshine state for a 5 day get-a-way. The weather was wonderful most of the time. It was overcast for most of the stay, so sunburn was a minimal risk. I did get cooked on the final day, but I was too busy kayaking to pay much heed to the telltale signs that I was slow roasting. On the second day, I ventured out early and joined the multitudes that were making use of a pedestrian traffic only route through the community and ended up traversing the sand dunes of this little island retreat. The run was great, although I am still much slower than the average runner. My legs were fine all day!! ( Keep this statement in mind throughout the following posts).

Of course, while staying at a tropical destination, you must indulge in the catch of the day, or in my case, a huge bucket of steamed everything. Crab, shrimp, mussel, oyster, crawdads, clams, and some new potatoes to top it off. Ummmm, yummy!! In fact, it was so delicious the first night, I enjoyed another bucket the second night. LOL

While the vacation was a nice reprieve from every day life, I have come to the conclusion that I no longer know how to relax. Seriously, I just spent an entire 8 days away from the truck, but my demeanor and attitude have not adjusted at all. There is, of course, several reasons for that.

First, I shall mention that while my legs felt divine the day of my run, they were swollen like water balloons the entire trip (except the ONE DAY). In fact my legs have been aching ever since I got into Frankentruck (but that is another post) So, the entire vacation seemed to be overshadowed by my anguish over just what exactly is happening to my body. The only way I seem to get any relief from the sciatic nerve and hip and knee pains, is to lie down on my belly. That does not lead to a very productive day, and you cannot drive while lying face first....Grrrr, needless to say the only thing left to do was endure. Oh yeah, I totally forget about the aches and pains while I was out row row rowing my boat! Did I mention how much I enjoyed the kayak..Ha HA, you would have thought I was in a competitive race the way I was slicing through the salty waters. That is a hobby I need to become more involved in!!

I should also mention the little adventure we had whilst parasailing... LOL....I am sooooo mean!!

I have been wanting to go parasailing for quite some time, and thought this was the perfect opportunity to do so. Of course, all adventures are best when shared with someone, so I loaded up my two nephews and one's girlfriend. I was going to ride with the youngest nephew, while the other rode with his girlfriend. Once we hoped aboard the boat, the first mate began preparations. Me and Asti Spumante(not his real name) were first, and after a brief trip around the bay, we were submerged in the water before being reeled back onto the boat. Next up was the Kiddo and Miss Ashlee. They had instructed the first mate that they were not to be dunked into the water. But I had alternate plans for them. So after another bayside boat ride, the captain asked if I wanted them dunked...." Well, of course, I paid for it so I think they should abide by my wishes. In fact, you should probably just let them soak for a bit!!" While slowing reeling them in, the first mate dropped them low enough to skim their toes across the top of the water, that is when I busted a gut laughing. Ashlee knew she was in trouble!! They were submerged and then dragged for several seconds...... Afterwards, everyone was in good spirits, even the victims of my little prank. You see, I think Ashlee really wanted to get dunked, but Kiddo is growing up and he had teenage things on his mind...Oh well, hope he forgives me!!

So yeah, all in all, it was a good trip, but I seem to need to learn how to relax again. I am going to practice this on the coming weekends. Hopefully I will have more non-trucking adventures to report in the future.

3 comments:

John II said...

Sounds like you had fun.

doomytunes said...

Comment #2: What do you mean you can't drive on your stomach? You are obviously an "I Can't" person. just put the truck in auto pilot. You can do it. Just use the initiative that you used to torture your parasailing partners.

John II said...

So you were hanging out with the young crowd, huh? They probably said this, "OK, this week you're not Aunt Terry. You're Theresa: the vivacious, younger-looking, still-a-knock-out, but our 21-year-old cousin from out of town."