Aug 28, 2009

Gentlemen, Place Your Bets

Whew, I made it through the week without yelling at too many people. It was nice and warm, but I did get a few cooler nights, so I tried to do alot of driving after dusk. With my route, that is nearly impossible.


The floor drain was repaired, so my socks are nice and dry, but there seems to be an exhaust problem developing. I wouldn't be scared to say the flex pipe under my sleeper has a split in it somewhere, because after a short time driving, my entire sleeper floor is as hot as Georgia Asphalt. I have noticed that the floor does get a little warmer in hot weather, but I am referring to such intense heat that you cannot stand on it without shoes on, and even with shoes, you risk melting the soles! Seriously, the little strip of metal that separates carpet from rubber is too hot to touch. I burned my little foot!!

Oh well. I think I maintained a good attitude throughout the week, unless you consider the stress I deal with each and every time I fly through South Carolina. Out of all the states I travel through, SC gives me the biggest headache and my temperament for this stretch of road elevates to the level of (see blog title) anger! I loathe it with utter disdain.* We (SC and I) have a long sorted history. I am working to not this scenario get to me soooooo much, so this week, a friendly little wager was placed . I was to attempt to drive the 150 miles from Charlotte, North Carolina, to the Georgia border without losing my cool. First you must understand, I HATE this corridor. The rules of the wager included that I was to not make a single gesture that resulted from the way the idiots around me were behaving. Whether they (the others) were aware of it or not. No fingers gestures, no flashing lights, no horn blowing, no muttering insanity over the CB (yes, the truck drivers here are afflicted too) and no grumbling under my breath or at the top of my lungs.

I could have very well lied about my behavior, but I owned up to my failure. Within 31 miles, I smarted off to an idiot on the radio. And a mere 17 miles later a four wheeler got the best of me. Both incidents were reflex, and I alerted Shadow immediately. I have failed miserably.

For my payment, I will be required to wear a certain article of clothing while driving through the state, until I can rein in my reactions and somewhat adjust my attitude. **


And just for the record, I only hold contempt for this short passage. I can face NYC gridlock with a song in my heart and kind words abounding. I suppose I expect traffic to get a little nasty up north, after all, they only have 3 lanes in each direction... Other Cities, where the interstates can get up a total of 16 lanes wide, there is no rhyme or reason to the madness.

* I am not saying that people who live in South Carolina are idiots, just the people who drive there!!

** The shirt is PINK, not my favorite color!!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that you modeling the shirt.

Anonymous said...

i miss you. i have been trying to catch up on all of your posts. i am back in the blog world. guess who fits into her princess dress now!!! and guess who is drinking out of her whistle stop coffee mug?? :-) xoxo

Unknown said...

Well, if it wasn't for the NYC part of your run (and the flatbedding, I'm lazy!) I'd trade you South Carolina for Austin, TX..

BTW, did my interview today about running and trucking and gave him your blog link (also told him you were much more interesting than me, lol!).

Gabby

dgfiskemt said...

lol, Lil' Trucker, lol ;-)

Stay safe out there!

The Kid

John II said...

You're lucky it's ONLY a pink T-shirt with the "South Carolina Attitude" on it. If the wager was more severe, you would've ended up wearing a pink tank top with "I Heart South Carolina", daisy dukes shorts and high heels throughout your trip....or pay a week's worth of spa treatments for Shadow out of your own pocket.

doomytunes said...

Pink isn't your favorite color. Please you are a girl. :P

John II said...

Don't burn your little toes when you're back there in the sleeper, too. Then everybody will hear this:
"This little piggy went to market,
This little piggy stay home,
This little piggy had roast beef,
This little piggy had none,
And this little piggy said, 'Damn it, Terry! It's hot down there! OW!OW!OW!'"
:D

Terry said...

Anon, no, that is the standard model from the website..

Shell, I need to write you, I have missed you too.

Gabby, It seems we all have our dreaded zones. Who would have thought a simple southern state could leave me in such turmoil, especially considering the rest of my run!!

Kid, I am not afraid to expose my faults, especially if it induces laughter from others!!

Shadow is trying to teach me a lesson. Money spent on his desires would not affect me, but having to embrace SC is something I dread doing, hence the punishment to fit the crime.

Doomy, um, yeah, I am a flatbedding
little trucker, but I have never liked PINK. I am more of a dark color girl.

Mary said...

I enjoy reading your blog! But I hate to tell you I'm one of those S.C. drivers! Yikes! I hope I'm not one of the BAD ones. At least I use my signals...and that's more than I can say for most of these drivers.

Terry said...

Oh Mary.. I hope I have not offended you! I am sure you are a wonderful driver. And it is not so much the locals who misbehave, the worst ones are just passing through. Thanks for reading!!