Aug 20, 2009

Just A Matter of Perception

WOW, what a week.


After all the good tidings of great joy I experienced over the weekend, I was really put through the ringer during the work week.

Not only did my air conditioning give up the ghost long before I ever made my first delivery, but it does not matter how many showers you take to feel fresh again, it ain't gonna happen. Within an hour of hosing off, I can assure you, 92 degrees inside the truck is enough to make any one feel no so fresh.

Company policy dictates that we must get permission through our local shop for any outside repairs. I called in to mention my dilemma and was told they would fix it when I got in after the load was delivered. Yes, I probably could have raised hell and had it fixed out on the road, but that would have cost me time and money, besides, it was not so bad to clean the ol toxins out of my skin driving down the road. Well, except during the rain storms were I inevitably had to roll up the side windows. And, I will have to wash all of the bedding again, just because of the odor.

Oh, no!! Not my odor...You see, while the AC is not functioning properly, the auxiliary air conditioning is working like a charm, except it is not draining properly. That in conjunction with the condensation, has left my carpeted flooring a sopping wet mess. So, therefore, my floors are now reeking to high heaven. Did I mention the auxiliary unit only works if the tractor's motor is not running? So while I am nice and cold during the night, I wake up to a wet floor, which then heats up during the day and even though I have the windows opened, the flooring still stinks. I can only imagine what it will smell like after sitting in the hot sun for 4 days with the windows closed....Yuck!!

And to make matters even more pleasant.... Did you see the trailer I picked up last week.


I had no doubt in my mind that these temporary repairs would not make the entire journey, and needless to say I was correct. After 1867 miles, I suddenly hear some strange noises and notice the tarp is now billowing outwards up to five feet. GREAT!! I knew it was going to happen because I had only ventured about 200 miles before the patches started to lose adhesion. So for the last few hours of my journey, I had to pull over every so often and tie a pretty ribbon around my not so pretty package.... Industrial size Zip Ties are even better than duct tape!!


But you want to know something amazing. Even after all the minor pitfalls I endured this week, I can honestly say that I have not been in such a great mood in quite awhile. Nothing could deter me from being happy this week!! And the icing on the cake?? I managed to get a 4 mile run in this evening in a slow steady rain, and it was the best run I have had in weeks!!

4 comments:

John II said...

All I can say is I'm impressed that you turn something negative into a positive. You got a good workout on your run at the end of a tough work week. Just be careful with the carpet floor; that could lead to getting mold and could get you sick and I'm guessing you'll make sure the shop will fix both the auxilary AC drain and the AC. My guess is the canvas trailer gonna need a serious repair, not a "patchwork quilt bandage", huh?
Oh well, next week will be different: another long haul and fun run for the Little Trucker. :)

Anonymous said...

Nothing beats a good run in the rain.

Unknown said...

Love running in the rain in the summer (as long as no lightning is involved). I agree with John, be careful with the carpet (eww, wet socks, gross.....).

John II said...

Odor?! What odor? I smell nothing but a bouquet of roses.