Aug 6, 2009

Waiting to Exhale

Yesterday, I stumbled into a situation that just might be a the much needed change of pace I am craving. If only for a moment, as it is a once in a blue moon opportunity.


We have a customer who has 3 loads of metal that are needing to be shipped to Seattle, Washington. Because we are not a "trucking" company, it is almost a fluke that this opportunity even presented itself. But, because it was our metal to begin with, well, that gives us the option to haul it, even though it is being fabricated elsewhere. Two of the loads have already shipped. There is one more to be loaded, and I have been offered the chance to run it cross country. The only stipulation is that if the load has too tight of a deadline, well, naturally, a single driver would not make the deadline.

I was supposed to find out sometime today, if I will be heading to the Pacific North West.

The phone rings, it is dispatch. It is my turn to bid on next week's deliveries.

WHAT?? What about Seattle?

Still not enough information to make the final decision as loading has been pushed back until next Monday. So for now, I am set up to head to New England, but......hopefully in the next 24 hours, I will get the call. If everything works out as I hope, we already have someone set up to cover my route so I will be freed up to make the NW run.

Until then, I am holding my breath. This would be like a two week mini-vacation for me. OMG....Rocky Mountains here I come....I have not been west of Interstate 35 in ten years....And I have already been told I would be able to do some sight seeing while I am out that way. Because it is soooooooo hard to find return freight to fit on a 93.5 inch wide Conestoga, I would inevitably have plenty of time to do some visiting.

Keep your fingers crossed.....This will be even more exciting than the $1500 trip I took through Manhattan on my birthday.

13 comments:

John II said...

I say go for it, Terry. While you're up in Seattle, maybe you'll get to visit Tammi (ZoeToots) and her daughter, too.

Terry said...

If it was up to me, I would already have my bags packed, but unfortunately, it all depends on the time frame. Will definitely know something by 5pm tomorrow...

Indy said...

In my own way I'm a believer
In my own way right or wrong
I don't talk too much about it
It's something I keep working on
I don't have too much to build on
My faith has never been that strong
(Waylon Jennings)

I am a bit like Ol' Waylon in that regard, but if that "Higher Power" will listen to the likes of me, I think I will be having a yarn with him on your behalf.
I am not sure he'll be open to my request, but I can do the asking.

doomytunes said...

I hope you get that run. I prefer west over east. One of my favorite moments while I am trucking through Wyoming is to park at one of the middle of nowhere truck parks spots in a clear night sky and look up. So many stars can be seen. Something you can't do east because there is too many damn people.

John II said...

Terry, I hope you get that haul to WA as well as somebody to help you drive if it's a priority load with a tight schedule. I'm guessing you'll want another gal helping you drive "Frankentruck", especially if she's got the same qualities, personality and traits such as yourself. (Also you don't want another repeat of the incident with a pile of stinky mud, ruined bathroom rugs and dirty boots 'cause you like your truck clean. If you can't find a co-driver you like, there's always cloning. Just imagine: two hellcats :D See, I'm happy...)

Indy said...

Well ....... I (we) are all in suspenders. I am guessing you didn't go West (sigh).

Keep us posted, though. We give a damn!

GoGo said...

dammmmmat

John II said...

Oh well...I mean, damn it. :| There's always a next time, right?

(Thinking)
"Man, I hope she's not upset about not getting the haul west. It'll be really sad to see her in tears over this."

Indy said...

You blokes must know a whole heap more than I do ... I was just having a wild guess from the lack of communication.

Maybe she got it and is flat out maiking the tip. I honestly haven't a clue.

I am hoping and praying for the best and dreading the worst because, quite honestly, I seriously think she deserves a bit of a break.

John II said...

Ya know, you might be right, Indy. Maybe Terry's already on her way toward Seattle. I guess we'll wait and see for ourselves.

BOB said...

This just to say hi from the uk and hope you get what your hoping for and if you do have a very good trip and a better one back. keep it sunny side up from bob (aka) bosshog on his travels

Mike said...

Just start driving west. Let the freight catch up to you!

dgfiskemt said...

Well? Did it happen? Have you visited my side of the country or not???

Hope it worked out for you and that you get a chance to share it with us if it did!

Ride safe, Lil' Trucker!
The Kid