Sep 20, 2007

The Much Anticipated Arrival Of Autumn

With all the soaring temperatures and stifling humidity, I can say that I am truly Thankful that Autumn has arrived.

My hair is not quite so fluffy.. Hmmmm, maybe we switched back to our old water reservoir? I do know that our water ban has been cancelled!! wooo hoooo.. It was a rough couple of weeks, trying to manage my mane!

However, the temps are still a tad bit warm here in Georgia. Average still in the 80's, which makes it nice for running!



This week, as usual, I pack my gear for the trip. Short sleeve shirts and no need for a jacket yet?
WRONG!!

On the way thru Virginia, the temps begin to dip into the 50's.. I turn off my air conditioner as it is getting a bit chilly in the truck. Upon arriving in Pennsylvania, it is down right cold! I readjust the thermostat to allow for some heat.... This should only take a minute, because the motor is already warmed up... After several miles, there is still no heat....and I am cold!!

I get to my first destination, it is now in the high 40's. NO HEAT!!

That night was not too bad.. I did wake up feeling a bit chilly, and the cool morning air could have been pleasant under other circumstances...

The daytime temps were in the high 60's.

My second overnight stay in the truck was much worse!! I only had one blanket with me! No long sleeve apparel of any kind and no HEAT.

When I woke up Tuesday morning, it was all I could do to get out of the bed.. There was no warmth to be found anywhere except for the tiny bit I had accumulated under the covers. I had noticed the leaves were changing on the drive into Massachusetts, but I took for granted how far north I actually was. Which means the overnight temps dip a whole lot lower at night!!

34 degrees.... to be exact... As a matter of fact, once I got stirring around, I decided to eat my breakfast before unloading.. But Alas, my milk was almost frozen.... Seriously, it had the consistency of soft homemade ice cream with out the yummy flavor!

I don't normally complain about the winter temperatures.. I find the extreme cold to be completely invigorating, but when you are not prepared for it..... Well, it comes as quite a shock to wake up in a 34 degree bed, with no way to warm yourself......

I did manage to warm up after a few hours of sunshine.

On the way home, I stopped in Mt Jackson, Virginia for my final overnight stay in the truck. At 9pm, it was still a balmy 72 degrees, so I had no fear s of freezing overnight. In fact,I had to crank up the truck and turn the AC on to get it cool enough to be able to sleep.

Around 4am, I once again wake up shivering... Shut off the AC and look at the thermometer...

42 degrees!!

This time it took me 5 hours and 300 miles to find warmth...

I guess that means Autumn is here!!! Time to put a jacket in the truck...

Oh, yeah!! Did I mention, Maggie is back with her sweet little heater that works Oh So Well....

5 comments:

maddie said...

eek! that's cold. fall came early for us, too. yesterday morning it was 44 when we woke up. i put the feather duvet back on the bed so we were nice and toasty last night, even though my nose was oh so cold. i love love love the fall so i'm glad it's here.

Sally said...

Fall has only teased us so far. It got down into the 50's for a couple nights and low 70's during the day, but now it's back up to the 90's and very humid! I'm ready for fall!

Mike said...

Glad Maggie is back with you. NOw be nice to the Texas girl.

Terry said...

You know girls, it seems like winter just ended (to me) after all it was snowing in Central Park in May... I do dread the idiots that do not know how to drive in the winter, but other than that... bring on Old Man Winter!!

Yes, MIKE I will be nice!!

Ginger said...

That reminds me of a trip we took to PA in May without so much as a long-sleeve shirt (much less a jacket) and got into a cool spell. Of course, it's still quite warm here. Up in the 90's yesterday.