Mar 13, 2009

Too Close To Home

By now, I am sure most of you have read or heard of the terrible tragedy that occurred in Geneva County , Alabama this week..


I received a phone call, the morning after. The first tidbits of information started to trickle through the drivers phone calls....At first , not much was clear on the exact details, except that something had happened at Reliable, one of our biggest Alabama customers.  Through the next several hours, I went through a wide  range of emotions. Fearing the worst...Dreading the news  that my friends and customers were on the victims list. The killer's name was so familiar....As the details started pouring in, I soon realized that none of the people I know had been attacked, but rather innocent bystanders and the killer's own family. His name......I know that name.

One of our drivers had just delivered at that plant....I was grateful to see the Receiver standing on the dock in the television news coverage.....My thoughts were very random as well as my emotions.... I could not comprehend... This is just way to close to home.....


4 comments:

The Wondering Brit said...

So you're alive then - this is good news.
Yeah that happened there and another one in Germany too.
Weird for two shooting things to happen on the same day.

John said...

I often follow the same line of thought as others around me that these sorts of things always happen to other people. But then sometimes I am that other person.

Indy said...

It is, indeed, a trajedy and terrible for all those concerned. There will be an impact and a knock-on effect for a long time to come. There is no doubt in my mind about that.
My prayers and thoughts are with the victims and their families, but also with you, Terry, because sooner or later you will have to be at that site and, being the wonderful, gentle soul that you are, you will care and it will imprint itself upon you.
For mine, I am just grateful you are okay.

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear this happened to people you know. or anyone for that matter. up here, a 13 year old girl was murdered in a vacant lot across the street from my home. apparently, i was doing what i'm doing right now while this was happening. i'll always wonder if she'd be alive if i had gone for a walk or was just standing outside looking at the sky...