Mar 7, 2009

Min Min Lights

Owyagoinmate?    HA HA....


Recently, while having a chat with a new friend of mine, we got caught up in telling Old Trucker Stories...First I must caution you to be very careful what you believe when it comes to a Trucker telling you a story, they have been known to embellish a few details.

Anyways, he delighted me with a tale regarding the Australian Min Min Lights, and a ruse he had used to , shall we say, errrrr, motivate another driver!!

During his charismatic presentation of the aboriginal myth used in his harmless little prank, I realized that I HAVE SEEN these lights...Okay, so maybe not in OZ ( Australia), but I was in Kansas, and isn't that where Dorothy was from before she encountered the Wizard (of OZ).... And maybe these were not the actual Min Min Lights....But I did witness this very same phenomenon...And I must say, it scared the poo out of me.

Here is my tale, as best remembered from approximately 9 years ago...

I was traveling south on US 183 through Kansas, heading towards the Interstate... It was late into the night and traffic was light. Approximately 15 miles from the Big Road, I began to notice this strange occurrence in the heavens...I slowed, naturally , to get a better glimpse.  I had not seen any traffic for awhile, but as I crept further south, gazing into the night sky, I came upon 5 cars stopped in the middle of the highway.  Hey, if you cant beat em, join em... So, I stopped too, which allowed me to get an even better look. 

What I witnessed was truly mystifying. Terrifying even!!

There seemed to be a flock of lights....These lights were hovering in the air about 50 feet due east, and no more than 40 feet off the ground. The lights themselves were orb shaped with a brilliant beam shining forward into their trajectory. I say "flock" because their movement resembled that of a flock of geese...There was one brilliant illumination followed by 20-25 smaller orbs in a typical flock pattern.  The beam projected from a glowing sphere... Once the lights had passed, you could no longer see the glowing orbs, just the beam of light that extended forward. They moved in unison, much like birds, moderately changing elevation, but enough to know this was not a simple refraction of headlights on another road. These lights were moving on their own....At one point, the largest orb stopped, and its glowing beacon scanned an area of 180 degrees, before continuing north. That is when we all decided to get a move on!!!

Before stumbling upon this strange phenomenon, I had been very tired and in earnest pursuit of a place to bed down for the night.  Remarkably, however, when it had passed, I had absolutely no intention of stopping my truck and going to sleep any where in the entire state...

Often, I had wondered what exactly I had seen.. In telling this story to others, I often remarked that it was light seeing a flock of radio active ducks, with flashlights tape to their bills, except there were no ducks.....Just hovering flashlights.......

But now, thanks to the Man Of The Hour, I no longer have to fear aliens trying to track me down. Seriously, that whole probing thing sort of scares me!!!!


8 comments:

Indy said...

Hahahaha

Would someone embellish a yarn? No! Never!

You're gonna have to show me how to embed videos and upload pics and the like, LT.

Great yarn! I loved it!

Terry said...

HA....Indy, this yarn is in no way an embellishment. It is as much an accurate account as my wee daft pelican brain can conjure up!!! LOL

Anonymous said...

i really don't know what to say...

Indy said...

Nah! Not YOU embellish - someone you were talking to that precipitated this yarn! :-)

From a rotund old drongo!

GoGo said...

I saw one of those things in Arizona once. It looked like a big flare that was stuck in the sky.

Kinda reminded me of an orange. Which made me hungry.

Digital Fortress said...

You weren't abducted and probed were you?

The Wondering Brit said...

ooo, are there pictures of this abduction? ;-)

Terry said...

NO Pictures.....NO Probing......

:)