Mar 6, 2009

The Mayor (the extended version)

Oh Dear, where was I at.........

Before embarking on my final journey of the week, I received a few phone calls from the Mayor. He offered to wait for me so we might be able to pass the time more quickly heading over to the scrap mill. After submitting several excuses, he finally agreed to preamble the course, allowing me to maintain my sanity for at least another 12 hours. Sheeeeesh, that was close..

We agreed to meet at a truck stop the next morning and embark on the final leg as the Dynamic Duo... I must mention that just knowing I was to remain in his company was enough to elevate a level of tension, even before he actually had the opportunity to take action.

Since we were both without trailers, we agreed that if no bobtail parking was available, we would share a parking spot in order to remain courteous to others who might need a spot to camp out. I quickly found him nestled into a spot and proceeded to back in, in front of him, thus placing his engine compartment directly behind my bed. I should have known better, but I did not want to awaken with him facing me. Amongst other demands I had placed upon him, I requested that because the mill did not open until 8am, I had intentions of sleeping in as late as possible. I assured him, I would be motivated by no later than 7:15am.

{The Oldest Trick In The Book}

At approximately 6am, I was startled from my slumber by a very obnoxious noise. " I know he didn't"....I attempted to settle back in for the remainder of my nap, and 15 minutes later, I heard it again...His AIRHORN, blaring into my head from the short distance I had allocated to him by backing in. I managed to not utter any four letters words out loud, and proceeded to commence my day. I had no more than arisen (still in my jammies) before he started knocking on my door. Now, at this point, it is not even 6:30, we had agreed to let me sleep in. I rolled down my window and glared at his blissfully ignorant expression.

"How many times did you blow your horn?" grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

He stuttered and fumbled through his reply, " Oh, sorry about that. I was just filling in my log book and forgot the air horn was (essentially the entire surface of the steering wheel, not including the spokes) on top of the steering wheel.It was an accident!" Yeah!! sure it was, just like it is an accident the other 200 hundred times you have done the exact same thing...You know, I would think, after driving this particular piece of equipment for over 14 months, he would know exactly where his horn his located...And he does, but he doesn't realize that we all are very aware of his wake-up calls. Even though he has pulled this stunt on everyone of us, at least a handful of times, a piece. I assure you, he was not doing his log book, he was just anxious to get going and sit in the mill parking lot for an hour before they opened..I guess to beat the rush....Ummm, yeah, there is no rush, we are not delivering, we are pulling out trailers from docks that are only used by US!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! But off we go.......

The two trailers we were to retrieve were our new hard body scrap trailers that have been customized to include an electric tarp system. With an adapter mounted on the cab of the truck, we have the capacity to open and close the tarp. My adapter...is .....ummmmm.......well.......TOO SHORT........ha, go figure!! So, because my power supply will not reach the power box to engage said tarp system, I requested that the Mayor hook to the first trailer, as the second trailer had no tarp! Not 3 minutes later, the Mayor states, " I guess I will get the second trailer....." I let him, and than reminded him I could not coerce the tarp mechanism into activity due to my improperly structured power cable.... (hee hee hee, those silly mechanics).....So after watching him unnecessarily create extra work for himself (whilst I was giggling madly to myself) I reminded him again, of the conversation that we had just finished 3 minutes prior to our arrival....Finally...I hook to the uncovered trailer and thought I should probably also mention that he needed to pull forward before closing the tarp because he was situated directly beneath some overhead power lines..When activated, the tarp mechanism reaches a height of well over 25 feet, so overhead clearance is of the utmost importance.

I make my way around the front of his truck to enlighten him....As I turn to walk back in front of him, heading towards my rig, he begins to move forward with me directly in his path....I scramble to safety, opting for a retreat rather than pushing forward. He stops!!! and smiles.....I walk forward again...He moves again.....I retreat.....He smiles.....After the third time...I am perplexed by his actions and decide to walk behind him, even though my tractor is only 10 feet away from the front of his truck. After it was all said and done, and I had reined in my state of discombobulation, I inquired as to why he would not let me pass in front of him...." I did not know what you were doing!"he replies with that little smile of his........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Next up....It is time for dispatch. We head into a truck stop to receive a facsimile with the intended routes listed for next week. After perambulating about for 15 minutes, I ask if he is ready to go! He says sure, but he needs to get the fax number and tell dispatch to send us the list.....UGH!! I thought that is why we stopped....What had he been doing for the past 15 minutes??? I never place my bid with the help of the LIST..I usually have dispatch ramble off the stops and mileage and make my decision per verbal transaction, but he needs the list to make his decision...therefore, I had agreed to stop...I walked back to my truck allowing him time to get it together, and thought about driving off without him, but I try not to be too nasty and rude...Remember, that which does not kill you, only makes you stronger, and we can all use a lesson in patience on occasion. So, I waited....and waited......and waited......

When we finally made it back to the plant...I had my gear stowed away in my car and my paperwork completed in a flash......I had had enough!!....With tires squealing, and dust flying, I scrambled back towards the realm of sanity...

Whew! Good thing I don't run with him often....as my temperament would surely decline if I were to remain in his presence on a continual basis....

Happy Trails!!!!

9 comments:

Indy said...

What a dead set glorious post! I loved it! I have to say you had me in stotches more than once!

Indy said...

Errrrrr bloody typo!

Stitches, even

The Wondering Brit said...

This guy isn't ignorant - he is many things, but ignorant is not one of them.

Glad I don't work with him.

Displaced Easterner said...

Awsome blog! I added a link to your blog on mine. Cheers!

Terry
Alberta Canada

Terry said...

What are the odds.....We have the same name, and the same blog title, and we live on the same continent.....WOW!!!! Thanks Displaced Easterner, I shall add you too!! Right Away!!

Anonymous said...

why don't you just shoot him and put him out of your misery?

unfortunately, i deal with several drivers of this type...

Unknown said...

James and I used to work with a guy that sounds just like the mayor, if I didn't know where Sport is currently working I'd swear he was over there with y'all.

this guy btw once got stopped at the Hope scales and for some weird reason had already completed his log 2 days in advance. at this time he'd been driving for over 30 years so he definitely should have known better

Love Bears All Things said...

I'm not sure patience and strength is worth the trouble of a maniac like that. Stear clear, friend.
Mama Bear

Terry said...

Oh GAB!!! Sport sounds just like the Mayor.....Hmmmmm?!