Mar 1, 2009

Ignorance Is Bliss

I left off having received the wonderful news that I would be spending some time with the "The Mayor".


First of all, I should tell you a little bit about him. He is a good man! He is blissfully happy. He would go out of his way to do anything for me, and treats me like a daughter. BUT.....one of my biggest pet peeves is ignorance, and while he is not a stupid or unintelligent man, he is blissfully ignorant.

Let me give you an example. A few months ago, there were 3 of us picking up new scrap trailers in Indiana. Upon completing our mission, he asked which way did we need to go. We were at the main highway, and had only two options. North or South.. We arrived coming from the South. So, it was pretty obvious that a southbound heading would lead us back home. I am pretty sure Georgia has always been south of Indiana.   Okay, maybe not such a good example.....

How about this one....A few weeks ago we were traveling together. The temperatures outside were a brisk 10-15 degree.  I am sure all of you are aware that at such a cold temperature, there are no bugs splattering the windshields!! Well, surprisingly, I did have one huge bug go splat. It shocked me!! So, over the airwaves, I said to the Mayor..."Guess what just hit my windshield.."  I had expected such responses as a rock, or bird poop.  But the Mayor, in utter seriousness remarked back with.........

A PILLOW.......

What....did he just say Pillow??  I don't know about you, but I have never been anywhere that pillows were pelting the windshields....I had no reply.....

Another time, he was literally pushing a fourwheeler down the highway..I noticed the driver of the car was getting nervous and weaving a little, only after having the grill of a truck blocking his entire view out the rear window. I do not think this person was drunk, or distracted, just nervous! We were in a 55 zone, and restricted to two lanes...I immediately backed off at least 200 yards, giving them all the room they needed to battle this out.. I don't believe in pushing!!  You never know how the person in the car might react, and I do not want to be responsible for their death, so I don't push!!  After traveling several miles this way, a Police Officer made his way up an entrance ramp just as the Mayor was passing it. He was quickly pulled over and cited for following too closely.

The thing about this that irritates me, is after the fact, the Mayor ranted and raved for 2 days about the injustice of it all. He was told the fourwheeler had called in for help, because of the aggressive Big Truck tailgating him...He could not understand what he had done wrong, and thought the Officer was just abusing his authority..I myself was not surprised at all, and had remarked that I could not believe he was pushing the little guy. I though he deserved the ticket, but the Mayor maintained his innocence. I watched the entire procession, and to me, he was clearly guilty...But, the Mayor also has the habit of running down two lanes at 68 mph.. He is one of those people that goes as fast as he can at all times, regardless of the laws.. I fear the day he hits a child, or car load of people on one of these small country roads. but still he sees no harm in his blatant disregard for safety....

One last example....I was following him.....and as he weaved across his lane several times, crossing the white/yellow lines, and could not maintain a constant speed, I asked if everything was okay.  He remarked....I am just checking my emails......  Are you serious???   If you think you are such an awesome driver that you can give your attention to something other than the road before you.....well, you are a bloody idiot!!!  I have seen several people end up in mangled vehicles because they were checking emails, reading books, surfing the web, or watching a movie.....while driving....  I think I am an awesome driver..... a little aggressive up in the City perhaps, but I am fully aware of everything going on around me. I drive looking ahead a few miles.  You will never catch me distracted by modern technology...And shame on you for thinking you are just so awesome that you don't need to pay attention to what is going on around you... It only takes a split second to end a life.....

But my point was this.... He is blissfully ignorant. He sees no harm in his poor driving habits, and his thought process somewhat astounds me.......... A freaking PILLOW  ????

So, it is all I can do to follow him anywhere without blowing a fuse or wanting to beat my face into the asphalt....I usually try to hold my tongue, my jaws in a death grip to not yell at him for his stupid maneuvers....And he does often ask why I cannot keep up....

I don't want any part of what is going to happen around him, so I refuse to keep up!!!  and this journey was surely to be no exception..

A pillow...........indeed!!

6 comments:

The Wondering Brit said...

We all get distracted at some point. At least in the UK using a cell phone is illegal now. But emails? EMAILS!!!!
Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law.
He might be the nicest guy in the world, but sometimes even being the most diligent driver on the planet wont save you're life.

But, I have not seen this for myself, so it's unfair to say anymore.
You on the other hand not only witness it -but you're having to deal with it too.

Good luck with that.

Indy said...

Oh my Godfather!

Terry! PLEASE, PLEASE! Next time you're gonna write something that makes me run off the road whilst I am reading your blog whilst driving ................... just kidding!

This has dead set got to be the funniest thing I have read in a while! I needed it at this time, girl!

THANK YOU!

Ummmmmm next time, give me a warning that there is humour to follow! What a ripper! :-)

Mark Krusen said...

Sounds like the Mayor needs to be kicked out of office.

Anonymous said...

i put up with this same kind of behaviour from one of our drivers. not the email thing, but he can't stop tailgating. i never drive in front of him anymore...

Terry said...

TWB....I appreciate the well-wishing....Hopefully my tour of duty (with him) is over for now!!

Indy, next time you are reading my blog, I would appreciate it if you pulled over and directed ALL of your attention to ME.....The load can wait!!!! HUGS!!

Mark, He is the incumbant...10 years in the making. At least we are all aware of his antics.. A new one might spell trouble...

Gary, dont you mean that he refuses to follow you...Especially after Chili NIght.....Oh, sorry, you were not being silly in this response...I should pay more attention....


BOO!!!! aha ahahahhahahhaha

Anonymous said...

and i thought you wanted to drop this subject? lmao!