Mar 16, 2009

There IS a First Time For Everything

I can honesty say that in all of my years of Trucking, the following story has never happened to me before now..This is truly a first time experience, and therefore, I knew I had to share it with you.


Last week, after finishing up my weekly routine with the Aluminum Company, I was loaned out to  another company to help out with an extra run. I agreed to do it because it got me and the truck home, eliminating my commute in the Pony Car.

What I didn't consider was the fact that I had obligated myself to quite a hefty haul, but that is another post. So after working overtime, I made it home for a 48 hour break, completely exhausted. On Sunday, several extraordinary events occurred, leaving me a little bumfuzzled. For example, I had several long time acquaintances, er, um, somewhat declare their more than passing adoration for me. Okay, 2 fellows asked me out, and a third just mentioned he was hooked!!

Also, one of our long term drivers was fired, leaving the rest of us to only speculate why. 

I attribute all of these events to be the cause of what happened next.

I was told my route would start in Goodwater, Alabama.  I asked another driver which exit I needed to find the customer, as I can never remember the exit number. He looked at me funny when I told him what route I was planning to take, but he never said a word. I set forth on my journey, Goodwater on the brain, along with professions of love, aching muscles, and a fear of losing my job.

A few hours later, I arrived at the customer, preparing for a peaceful nights sleep, when it suddenly dawned on me, that I was not in Goodwater. You see, we have a customer in Alabama who has several different locations. I was at the right customer, just the wrong town.  So, I set forth again, heading to the real Goodwater...

I have never in my life, driven to the wrong location.

The next morning, I got unloaded and before heading out to stop number two, I was groped by an 83 year old fork lift driver......Niiiiicccceeeeeeeee!!

Oh well, all is well that ends well, and although I added an additional hour to my trip, the feeble fingers coping a feel of me arse, made it all worth while , don't ya think!!

What a minute, that is two FIRST's...........

6 comments:

Indy said...

Hahaha ..... ya see? You're just so adorable ... heh heh! :-)

Them bloody factories that move on you are a pain, though, aren't they?
You didn't go to the wrong location at all!
You gotta learn SENIOR executive speak, Terry. "Due to the necessity to maximise synergies whilst normalising and amoratising the effects of all impacting factors, I saw cause to inspect a secondary plant en` route` to my ultimate destination"
See? It sounds and looks much better!
Hugs

Digital Fortress said...

Breakin' hearts all over your route huh? Well, I'm sure you made that old man's month. LOL!

John said...

This is way to amazing. I had an old man grab my arse as well. Not in Alabama, but in an ice cream shop in Provincetown, MA. That town's known for its...um...alternative peoples.

Anonymous said...

wow, 3 prospects and a grope! who could ask for more? i'm so glad to see you finally went to the wrong location. isn't that warm fuzzy feeling great when you realize how dumb you must look to everybody? lol! this is at least a bi-annual event for me...welcome to the club!

Unknown said...

Ewwwwww on the groping....The next question is are YOU interested in one of the 3?

Back when we pulled Miller Beer out of Ft. Worth as a backhaul from Peterbilt, James ended up having to drive all night to Poplar Bluff, MO. He's tired, it's just after dawn, and sees a beer sign with what he thought was the correct address, well it turns out the Budweiser d.c. is just across the street from the Miller d.c. and he pulls into the wrong one. No big deal so far, this stuff happens.

What's next is hilarious (but scary), he walks in the door and there's a doberman on the other side of the warehouse. They spot each other at the same time and James said that dog was scrambling like a cat trying to get traction, claws sliding on the concrete. He realizes that this dog is serious and he's now scrambling for the door sliding around himself (must've just resealed the concrete). James managed to get out and just as the door shuts "BAM!", the doberman hits the door headfirst it's in such a frenzy to get to him. Of course it's at this point he sees the Miller sign across the road.

Eh, not as funny in writing as when James tells the story but you get the idea.

Terry said...

Indy..are you a speaking English??

DF, I was concerned that they were going to have to cart him out of there...Probably made his year! He got a handful!

John, no wonder I get no action in Mass!

Hey Gary....It was late on Sunday night!! Absolutely no witnesses, except the fellow on the phone who laughed with me!!

Oh Gabby.. I can just see it, both James and the pooch scrambling for traction...And the last second escape....Classic! I know he was happy to be on the other side of the door!