Mar 7, 2009

Are You Even Surprised ??

By now, most of you have realized that I seem to have a very unfortunate streak running through my veins....Yes, Gary, I do have good luck, but it is the small wonders that surround me that I consider to be my good fortune. I am blessed in the sense, that even the simplest moment in time can bring sheer delight to my life.


As for this post, we will journey back into the land of the mechanics.....

First, I have had suspension problems for at least 6 months now. The good news is that in trying to locate the exact problem, I have been given new gas shocks, which is a definite improvement over the original ones that came with the truck. Also, I have received a new leveling valve....But this is where the failure actually began....My valve had failed and the local shop replaced it. They pulled me to the side and told me there was a noise resembling an air leak and that I should pay it no attention.  While I agree, there is a noise resembling an air leak while the valve is actually being used, but this sound is only the air bags adjusting the suspension and you only notice it after moving the truck, or stopping. Then it only lasts until the frame is level. My noise is an air leak, and it is very noticeable anytime you are out of the truck. As long as you have air pressure, the valve leaks....and will continue to do so until you are out of air. For example, after turning off the motor, my leveling valve will continue to leak air for hours!!!  Not the standard amount of time to level out....It is a LEAK, and I have never had a valve that was made to leak intentionally...............  But I am suppose to ignore it......




But the biggest problem with this valve, is when I start out, it actually fills the bags well beyond the desired amount. Therefore jacking my frame up and throwing my drive line into an awkward angle thus, causing a vibration to shimmy throughout the truck while I am driving....Until I slow down, then the bags drop and magically the vibration disappears.... But, if you look at the gauges, it will show to be dropping while I am driving, and rising when I stop... A complete contradiction. How do I know?  I filmed it!!!     but the footage is trapped in a computer with no power, so you will have to wait for that one....

 Soon, I will have worn out major components of my drive line....You think maybe then the might believe me when I tell them my leveling valve is bad??   I hope so...I hope that little video will get somebodies attention..I filmed it one hour after parking the truck and turning off the motor....ONE HOUR...it should never take a leveling valve ONE HOUR to level itself, therefore I am pretty confident that it is a &*%#ing leak...  I have begged anyone of these "trained technicians" to just listen to me......for months........  

Do I hear Tennessee calling me again?  If you are wondering why I have not already addressed this issue with my Heroes, it is because I do not want to overwhelm them with too many requests at one time....I think the exhaust leak had more priority, along with the crazy computer problems, and I do not get through there regularly...I was expected at that shop to discuss this issue 2 weeks ago, but got pulled from the gravy run that led me to their doorstep.....I have actually had 4 other shops tell me to learn to  live with it!   BLOODY WANKERS!!!!

Lets just  hope the video is my truck's salvation........

3 comments:

The Wondering Brit said...

Ok, How do I put this?...
Wankers? yeah, I bet these guys sit around wanking for a good part of the day rather than doing the job right in the first place.
I'm kinda getting all angry reading this post.

The two single most important things on a truck are 1) the ability to stop and 2) the suspension. BOTH rely on Air. If you have dodgy suspension on a car, you can easily get a bad case of dead - on a truck it's vital for the weight, speed, handling, and breaking.
If this was my truck - I would be back in the shop with it, throw the keys at them and say that I come to work to earn a crust - not die because you guys can't do you're jobs right.
Then refuse to drive the vehicle in the well founded belief that it is not safe.

The odd leak is always expected to happen, but when air systems take over an hour to settle down - who is to say the you're brakes wont suddenly come on at 60+mph?! what if after starting off you need to go down a big hill?

You're there to work, you do a good job, they are there to help you do your job to the best of your ability. The company relies on them to do the job right first time. Don't let them start telling people its your fault that they can't do their jobs right.

But yes, only hit them when possible with one issue at a time.

Terry said...

This is exactly why I always try to go to an out of state shop.....And I do get very good results in Tennessee....

Anonymous said...

i'm having a simular problem myself. i have a bad diaphram in a brake can, only the mechanics can't get it to leak in the shop. so, they don't know which one to replace. i guess it's time to throw on the coveralls and crawl under there myself...