Mar 8, 2009

The Things We Do For Love

During the course of the past several weeks, I have been able to remain at home until Sunday before heading out on each week's new journey. These new routes have suited me well! But, with living in such close proximity to my niece, I am also required to make sure and tell her GoodBye before I leave town.


Last week, her tender little heart was broken! When she had awoken that morning, a tiny amount of snow had blanketed the ground.. You should be aware that this is only the third time in her life she has ever witnessed snow first hand. Wanting to experience the fluffy white goodness for herself, she begged to be able to miss Church, this one time... Her requests denied.....

When she arrived home a mere 3 hours later, the ground was no longer fluffy or white. Needless to say, she shed quite a few tears that day.

2 hours later!!
This morning, I received a phone call from her asking if I could possibly wait for her to get home before I headed out...My intentions were to leave while she was gone. But I could hear the first sniffles and imminent heart break in her voice, so I sit here waiting for my best friend to come home...A hug is all she needs and then she will send me on my way... Yes, I will see her again within a 4 day period, but I seem to remember a time in my life when I would also cry over a departure, even though I knew that person would be back soon!  Who knows.....she may outgrow me one day, so I gotta get all the loving while I can!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, thanks.

John said...

Just another sign that you're a good person.

Anonymous said...

ok, i might risk the bad mojo...

Anonymous said...

darn, i did it again! me up there...

Indy said...

Love is the most precious gift there is. We have to grasp it whilst it is there and honour it and cherish it for what it is.

The love of a child is even more precious, for they love without boundaries, completely and without reservation. Sadly, through the effects of life's challenges, as we grow older, we become less and less uninhibited with our love.

What you have done here, Terry, is honour the unparalelled love of a child. No wonder you're held in such high esteem by so many.

When I reflect on my years when I had 2 boys growing up, I often felt (with 20/20 vision in hindsight) that I failed in my obligations towards them in this very manner and I forever regret it.

As TheHillmarKid said, succinctly - "Beautiful post".

Love Bears All Things said...

I've experienced a couple of those broken hearted tears when I left without saying goodbye. We never know when this time will be the last time we see someone. So we need to make this time the best time. What a great Auntie you are!
Mama Bear

Digital Fortress said...

That is very sweet.

God forbid anything should ever happen, but you never know and it's prob best to always give that special person in your life some love before you go out the door.

Indy said...

I have just read back through several months of your blog and I have to say, Sunshine, that you have a capacity with the language that is a gift.
I love your style and manner of writing. If ever you decide on a career change, writing for a living wouldn't be far fetched at all!