Feb 16, 2008

How Could That Be Possible?

I have been doing really well with my running here lately. In fact, I had decided to add another mile. That would put me up to 6 miles at a time. However, not to be deceptive, it is not all running. I go for half mile stretches, alternating a fast walk with a not so fast jog. But hey, whatever it takes to keep me motivated right. I find this routine works very well for me.

My last time out, I incorporated the additional mile with no problems whatsoever. So, I decided to treat myself to a couple of rewards, so to speak. First, I ordered new ear buds for my mp3. The ones I have now do not stay in my ears while I am pounding the pavement, and my brother had found some that squish up into your ears for better staying power. Second, I thought some nice new running shoes were in order. Once again, my small feet betrayed me. No store within a 30 mile radius carries any type of athletic shoe in an adult 5. Frustrated and not wanting to wait for shipping delays through ordering on-line, I decided to purchase a child's running shoe. It was the exact same shoe, except the sole is thinner. and only half the price.

I put them on, they felt wonderful. I had been running in some really old cross trainers that were past worn out. So, today I slipped them on the new kiddie shoes and set out to conquer another 6 miles.



What The Hell. As I ventured out (it is a half mile walk to my course, which I do not figure into my accumulated distance) I noticed that I was walking as if I was flat footed. CLUMP CLUMP CLUMP. When I got down to the track and started running, it didn't take 100 feet for my calf muscles to scream out in protest. They were on fire!! Now I have been running for a year and surely during this period I have used those muscles before. I did manage to complete the first lap with an extremely painful look on my face. Hell, it was extremely painful to finish. The second lap (walking) was damn near as painful. CLUMP CLUMP CLUMP. But I remained determined.

Okay, so I wussed out at 5 Miles. And thankfully, the kiddie shoes were a little broken in by the time I gave up. Not to mention those angry muscles had loosened up a bit.

I think if I continue to wear them, they will be fine once they are broken in. But with the amount of pain they caused me today, I am tempted to go back to the old broke down cross trainers. They never once hurt me, at all!!

On the bright side, by the end of 5 miles and a lot of grimacing I am no longer flat footed! But now, my arches hurt! Hopefully that will go away as the shoes get worn. What do you think?

EDIT: A few hours later and now my arches and ankles are killing me. So much for not wanting to wait... I have bought the wrong shoe, childsize or not! I am an underpronator, which means I run/walk on the outside of my foot. The correct shoe is available in Huntsville and in my adult size. Looks like I am taking that trip to Bama. The shoe I purchased is for someone who pronates normally. Damn, that is why I went to a sports store, so the friendly KNOWLEDGEABLE staff could point me in the right direction. No wonder those muscles were screaming at me. More than likely they are not used often any way, in my underpronated stride.

6 comments:

Sally said...

I've had that experience w/ kid shoes before (well, I didn't buy them for running, but whatever). They are cheaper, but I guess they're made different. I hope you get them broken in!

Love Bears All Things said...

Before the edit, I was going to say order those shoes, surely they will come in a week's time. Unless you're ordering them from Australia. As I did my hat before Christmas, that is taking 3 months. They have to kill whatever animal the material is from, i suppose.
But a trip to Huntsville is in order anyway, right? You had planned to come this weekend and so this is your excuse to come now, as if you needed an excuse.

Try New Balance. I am on my third pair.
Mama Bear

Anonymous said...

if you know exactly what shes you you want, i might be able to get you a deal and get them shipped to your house!

Anonymous said...

i mean SHOES!!

*~*Cece*~* said...

Congrats on the 6 miles of running!

I'm glad you'll be able to find the shoes you need. Bummer that the staff at the sports store didn't know what the hell they were doing!

Terry said...

Sally, I have been wearing them all week and they are softer now, but I am still scared to try and run in them again.

Mama Bear, I had New Balance Cross Trainers ,but I was advised to try Asics for running. Hmmmmm, maybe I should just stick to old faithful.

Oh Siz, that would be wonderful!!

Yeah Cece, knowledgeable my arse!!