Feb 15, 2008

And Speaking of BAD Drivers

Yesterday I had the most harrowing (sp?) to date in a big truck.

Seven miles from home, I exit the Interstate, make a right turn and proceed to the traffic light that will guide me home. In the direction I am traveling, this particular signal has two lanes. The left lane is for left turns and straight ahead traffic. The right lane is for RIGHT TURNS ONLY. There is also a railroad crossing about 15 feet from the signal. Just enough room for one car to get across the tracks and trigger the light. In a big truck, you have to remain 30 feet or so from the intersection because this particular track is used frequently throughout the day.

The signal was red and is often backed up for a mile or better trying to get through the intersection. There were several cars in front of me. When the signal turned green, the folks in front of me were slow to proceed. In fact, I think the woman in front of me was slow to do anything as she looked to be about 200 years old, but I digress....

When making the left turn (I take up the whole intersection and swing really wide to the right to avoid hitting anyone in the turn lane of the road I am turning on to. ) So, as I am about 90 percent through the intersection, from out of the corner of my eye, I notice movement on my passenger side. I hear another Truck Horn scream out into the air. That is when I notice the little white chevy pick-up (a company vehicle) come flying around my right side on two wheels from out of the right hand turn lane, making the left turn in front of me. Or beside me.... Seriously on two tires, I saw the body of the truck bounce when the other two tires came in contact with the ground. I saw his ladder fly out of the bed of his truck. I saw him almost collide with not only myself, but with the car in front of me.

JACKASS, the reason I was going soooo slow was to avoid pushing Grandma, not because I am loaded heavy or just can't shift my gears quick enough.

There were two young guys in the vehicle and they were having a great time playing Dukes of Hazzard. You could see they were tickled pink with that particular manuever. Any ways, after the near fiasco in the intersection, and following Grandma for about 2 miles, they took off screaming down the little two lane highway at least 60. The road is rated for 45 as there are a lot of driveways and businesses. I saw them almost collide into another vehicle making a turn.

I did manage to get the make and model, tag number and description. I was not able to see the company name on the door. Oh, if I had I would have made a personal visit to their employer just to let them know what these guys were up to in the company truck. I contacted the Sheriffs Office to see if there was anything they could do about it. But with it not being an official emergency, there was little to be done. They humored me by telling me that they would run the tag and drop by the company to report the complaint.

If only.... I would love to find out these boys were fired for reckless endangerment in a company vehicle. I would love for them to see me laughing at them for messing with a big truck. I would love for them to realize I got them fired.... If only.....

Oh well!

2 comments:

maddie said...

but if you have the tag number, can't the dmv pull the records for you? what a shitty sherrif's department... :(

Terry said...

They are not suppose to just give out that info, you know to prevent stuff like stalking and premeditated crimes, but I could always give it a try!!