May 23, 2009

All Is Well That Ends Well

After awakening in New Jersey on Thursday, I had a decision to  make. I still had one stop left to deliver and two more to pick up before heading homeward bound. It is not often that I am still in the truck on Thursdays and to be quite honest, I never got into the trucking mood at all this week. Could have been the fact that the load I was to deliver was not my intended load. Could have been that I was instantaneously 24 hours behind at the moment I was dispatched. Or it just could have been a very off week for me. The decision, should I travel south 84 miles to retrieve some damaged material and then head northwest to my final delivery. Or should I head west (what I thought was going to be) 112 miles to finish unloading and catch the pickups (somewhat) on the way home.


I opted for making the delivery first. Good thing, too!! The 112 miles miles ended up being quite a bit further. At this point it became a race against the clock. Just after lunch, I phoned the Boss and mentioned my concerns about making the pickup before the customer closed. Had I attempted it and failed, I would have traveled at least another hundred miles out of my way. I had already informed the site manager that I would NOT layover for return pickups. The Boss came to my rescue and gave me the go ahead to forget the rest of the schedule and head for home. We have a truck in the area every week, so it is not like someone could not retrieve the damaged material at a later date.

I had previously forgotten that next Monday is Memorial Day, so I was very delighted to realize that I would indeed be able to get a full weekend at the house. Well, it appears to be full. I am returning to New England next week, but because of the closures on Monday, I will not have to embark on next weeks trip until Sunday evening.

I just hope I can unwind a little this weekend..I have been having severe headaches and the muscular tension is almost distracting...and don't worry, I have not forgotten that some of you are waiting to hear what the Best Birthday Present Evah!! was. I just want to make sure I present it with all the hoopla that it deserves!  and Yes, it was the best evah!!

1 comment:

Indy said...

Still waiting for the birthday surprise with eager anticipation but I know you're a very busy lady so we can wait! :-)