Nov 14, 2008

The Never Ending Story

This is a tragic tale, but one that I have been telling for quite sometime. I am hoping that there is an end in sight. I have made arrangements for an alternative tale to be told!!

So this one really starts about three months ago, when I was forced to swap Trucks, due to unresolved repairs. I tentatively made the exchange.

In the course of the previous few months, I have numerous requests for repairs and maintenance. I have replaced items damaged prior to my obtaining this jewel. I have dealt with leaks and exhaust and some pretty major suspension issues. This biggest personal dilemma was the fact that I could never get comfortable in the drivers seat. In fact, the seat had multiple seams and protruding lumps which dug into my posterior. For the past 3 months, my legs have ached. They have felt numb and swollen and finally my hips started to hurt. At the end of each day, it was all I could do to walk!! The pain would actually take 2-3 days to subside, just in time for me to jump back in for another haul. This also aggravated me because I was unable to get any decent mileage from my running shoes.

So, last Wednesday, I dropped my truck off for some recall repair work. When I returned to the plant on Sunday, I noticed my truck had not been touched. I was set up to drive the spare, but when I attempted to leave town, I quickly turned back because the spare truck had major engine troubles! I then waited for maintenance to bring me a key to yet another spare....but it too had issues, so I was told to take MY truck.

The work week was not so bad in itself. I did manage to find some time to have a few repair jobs performed, but alas, my suspension issues are yet to be resolved.. Now I may not have a lot of excess baggage, but after bouncing around for the past three months, eventually even my fat began to hurt!

An air leak was repaired. The leak would allow my air tanks to drain in about four hours after shutting down the engine. After the repair, it only took 30 minutes to drain the tanks!! This is not the desired result. I should hold air for days!!!!!Grrrrrrrrrr..... I had tires replaced, recalls performed, and even more suspension adjustments.

Finally, I decided I just could not take it anymore.... I found that I could not even sit in that seat for an hour before the discomfort started taking its toll on my body. The bouncing was also driving me insane, as I just couldn't get anyone to understand that suspension is not performing correctly.. Yes, I did get a new leveling valve, but I am encountering the same problems with the new one.... Too much/too little air.

Today, I called the Boss and pleaded my case.....I wanted back in my old truck. The one with the deadly exhaust leak!! I would gladly trade the new problems for my old ones... Not to say that I enjoy exhaust fumes, but hopefully after three months, that repair has already been made. I never wanted to get out of the old truck to begin with....So, today, I made the swap and I was never so happy to see my old truck.... No mold growing in the door frames, no putrid stains in the carpeting, no half inch thick crud petrifying on the floor.....

My legs are just now starting to feel normal after this weeks ride, so hopefully next week, I will not encounter any more issues with that! As for the exhaust leak, if it still exists, I have found my new favorite repair shop and my new favorite Volvo shop!!!! So, I will be making a beeline for one of those two places for any future repair work.....

Sorry Maggie, but this time it is over for good!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, finally something for you to be excited about, even with an exhaust leak. i had a truck once where the seat caused my legs and back to hurt. took me months to figure out that it could be adjusted. the front of the seat was too high, cutting off the circulation in my legs. boy did i feel stupid...and by the way, how would you know what the inside of my truck smells like?

John said...

You're a bigger man than I am, Gunga Din. I would have been gone from those folks a long long time ago. A good driver like you deserves good treatment.

Digital Fortress said...

Glad to hear that you won't have to keep going through all that in order to do your job. I hope your new/old truck treats you right.

Terry said...

Gary, too bad none of the adjustments have helped me. The old truck's seat is broken and sits low and wide...Perfect for me!!

John, have I failed to mention that I indeed have been tooling around in the only TWO trucks that have not required engine repairs...So, actually, I probably have been in the 2 best trucks on the fleet!! Plus, only working 4 days a week does not hurt me feelings whatsoever!!

DF.....if only.......