Nov 28, 2008

To Err is Human.....

Tuesday November 25th



After awaking to a rainy morning in Long Island, I faced a brutal 3 hour commute back into Queens. You might ask yourself, 'Is this normal?'






While long delays are prevalent on this stretch of blacktop, this particular delay was the residual effect of a weekend derailment on the LIRR, which plays host to over 100, 000 rush hour commuters each weekday morning. Put those folks back in a car, and naturally you get very extensive delays.






After a quick drop in Flushing, NY, I headed off to Wood-Ridge, NJ for my next delivery. Then it was on to Carbondale, Pennsylvania. AA was just hours ahead of me, and he informed me of weather advisories. Ground is WHITE, roads are CLEAN.


But this post is not about my typical truck problems or the mundane details of my day. No, this post is dedicated to the little adventure I endured while trying to make my final delivery for the day.


Now every driver has at some point made a wrong turn, or missed a road while trying to make their destination. I have done this on a few occasions, but not often does it make me feel inadequate. But today was my lucky day.


The first turn I missed was the exit ramp for Route 6 East, a nice four-lane highway. I knew the road well, and because it went due north, I didn't even hesitate to pass the ramp which offered an east bound path. The direction, I had just come from. No problems though, except finding a place to turn around before I hit the serious snow and congestion in the mountains.


I manged to get back on track, and located the customer in a reasonable amount of time. I have delivered here a half dozen times or so, and knew that in order to unload, I would be required to make a U-turn somewhere up the road to be able position myself in their tiny little parking lot.


Here is where the fun begins!!


There is a road, a few hundred yards ahead that leads to the only industrial area in town. The entrance to this area resembles a small parking lot with an inadequate amount of asphalt barely covering the dirt beneath. Now, I had forgotten which road led me into the industrial area, as it had been over a year since my last delivery. And I forgot one vitally important instruction.


Do Not Cross The RailRoad Tracks !!


I didn't realize I had made a mistake until after I had made the turn onto the first street (my memory's only clue to where the turn around was located). I began to feel disheartened as I made the climb into the mountains, and watched Carbondale below in the mirror. I must mention that all the streets in Carbondale are very narrow and a Truck could not make these turns even if they were not restricted.


So, climb I did! Onto a snowy little trail that lead into the middle of nowhere. Up into the mountains and into the frozen tundra.


At this point, I was feeling quite apprehensive, as I had yet to find a location even remotely capable of allowing me to turn around. Eventually I stumbled upon a Y intersection and decided it was now or never. Traffic was almost non-existent, so I gingerly began to back into the merging roadway. A few vehicles popped up behind me rather quickly, and stared in wide-eyed amazement of the task I was attempting. I sat still in the roadway awaiting their departure as I did not want to risk a collision. The first spectator offered his assistance and assured me that it was indeed Now Or Never, as this roadway came to an abrupt dead-end several miles away. I instructed him, that while I was very grateful for this knowledge and his assistance, I could not allow him to block the road way for me. I would be liable if anyone rear-ended him if they popped over the top of the hill. He gave me a very concerned smile, a few words of comfort and drove off into the skyline.


Next, a school bus being piloted by a very friendly and understanding lady, drove onto the scene. Because of her vehicle's priority, she then proceeded to block the road for me. It is required to stop for any bus flashing red lights with its little stop sign protruding, so she used this to my advantage. I was then able to make the turn and head back into civilization.


Moments later, almost blizzard like conditions erupted from the sky, visibility nearing just a few hundred feet. Talk about timing!!


It has been a long time since I have felt the helplessness I faced while fearing the unknown. In fact, I believe the last time I was in a comparable predicament, it involved logging trails, cows and a missing hammer.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Yikes!!! The bus driver was awesome though.

John said...

That last one was over a year ago. That's a pretty good record. You're doing great out there.

Digital Fortress said...

Wow! You made it through okay thank goodness. Although with your profession it's prob bound to happen again...hopefully you won't run into that same sort of issue for some time.

Decorina said...

OMD, gives me the heebie jeebies just looking at that snow packed road. As I sat at home last night and heard that Loveland Pass, I-70 EB and WB, Eisenhower tunnel and I-25 NB were closed I was just thankful that I wasn't out in it.

Ack, good on ya for dodging that bullet.

Terry said...

Yep, Gabby... She saved the day!!

Thanks John..I try, and with running the same route most of the time, it is pretty hard to get lost!!

Actually, DF....While they are pretty traumatic while they are happening, those mistakes make for pretty good story telling.

Hey Decorina, glad you could make it by to check out my blog!!

Anonymous said...

last time i did that, i ended up in an apartment complex on top of a snowy hill. had all kinds of fun trying to get out of there.

Indy said...

Hey! Terry! Enough of the bloody snow already! You're making me feel cold! Sheesh! Anything UNDER 50 Deg F sends me into uncontrollable shakes - and a straight jacket!!!!!!!!

Indy said...

This is a cut and paste of a post I wrote in the "numb nut" forum on ozprodrivers. I think you will relate to it, Terry! :-)

(Sub Titled Directions 101)

To "B" Or Not To "B" (Double)

GerDay All,

Directions, or more correctly, the directions given to you by SOME customers. Don't you love it?

This is a (true) story about a certain b-double driver in the tipper game who now drives quad dogs. This isn't WHY he chooses NOT to drive doubles, but occurances like this and similar have gone a long way to convincing said driver that they (b-doubles) are just way too big a pain in the aaarrrrse. Names have been changed to protect the innocent and the not so innocent!!!

Dialled the customer's number.

RING RING

CUSTOMER: "Hello. Farmer Brown speaking". (Very slow drawl here - visions of straws in mouths, eating apples through tennis raquets and Dueling Banjos immediately jumped into the driver's mind. More especially because it was up in them thar hills)!

DRIVER: "GerDay mate. How are ya goin'? This is Joe Bloggs from the Routine Tipper Service. I gotta load of Superfect for ya, mate. Now, I am driving a 25 metre B-double and I am at Bidelonia. How do I get to yer place from here, please, mate"?

CUSTOMER: "Ow mutchya got orn, mate"?

DRIVER: "43 tonnes. I can't deliver it, though, unless you tell me how to find you".

CUSTOMER: "That's orrrrright, mate".

DRIVER: "So. How do I get there"?

CUSTOMER: "Ahhhhh. Right! Well yer drive East outta town fer about 10 en then ya turn orf".

LONG PAUSE

DRIVER: "Ten what and which way"?

CUSTOMER: "Ay"?

DRIVER: "I drive out of town to the East for 10. 10 what? Minutes? Miles? Kilometres?"

CUSTOMER: "Aw. Right" .

PAUSE

CUSTOMER: "It ud be about 10 mile, I reckon".

DRIVER: "Thanks. We're gettin' somewhere now. Which way"?

CUSTOMER: "Ay"?

DRIVER: "Which way do I turn"?

CUSTOMER: "Aw. Right".

DRIVER: "Right"?

CUSTOMER: "Yeah. Right, right".

And so it went on for 15 minutes. The last sentence from the farmer was :-

CUSTOMER: "Now that road's pretty narrer and if yer come to a little bridge yer've gorn too fer by about 5 miles and yer'll have ter back up a bit".

DRIVER: "I'm in a b-double".

CUSTOMER: "Yeah".

(Isn't it funny how they tell you what you will see when you've gone too far but no land mark just BEFORE the new directive?)

DRIVER: "Are you sure it's a b-double route".

CUSTOMER: "Yer".

PAUSE

DRIVER: "You had a b-double there before"?

CUSTOMER: "Yer".

DRIVER: "Righto. I am on my way".

Phone goes clunk in his ear. These hillbillies don't go much on good byes!

So out heads our intrepid driver, following the directions PRECISELY. That last road sure is narrow. In fact it is just 2 wheel tracks in amongst the trees (and I mean state forest type trees - thick as), in the grass. You get the drift. He decides to ring farmer.

RING RING

CUSTOMER: "Yer lorst?"

DRIVER: "Nah! Are you sure this is a b-double route"?

CUSTOMER: "Yer".

SILENCE

DRIVER: "Okay. I will keep coming."

CUSTOMER: "Right."

CLUNK of phone.

It turns out it is a b-double route of sorts - for log trucks!

Driver gets to the gate, eventually, and discovers that you would be flat out getting a single through the gate way. Rings farmer.

RING RING

CUSTOMER: "Yer"?

DRIVER: "Mate. You better come down here. I am at your gate and there's no way in hell I am gonna get through it."

CUSTOMER: "Right".

CLUNK

10 minutes later farmer arrives.

CUSTOMER: "Aw, sheet. We never had a b-double as big as that before"!

Turns out that he had previously only ever had quad dogs! Thus driver had to double unhook on the "road" - you know, this great b-double track in the grass, between the trees. Since he couldn't leave the b trailer on the road for long, it meant a quadruple unhook. You know. Drop b. Take a in. Drop a. Pick up b. Unhook b as a is sinking. Hook on to a, unload (up a bloody auger that was as slow as). Drop a. Hook on to b. You work the rest out.

Then boss rings.

Boss: "What took you so long"?

DRIVER: "*&^@^%$#T@*&^#%$#&%^$@& ^%#(**&% and other naughty words"

Don't you just love directions?

Kindest Regards

Indy

Indy said...

Oh. And this one, too, Terry! Again, it was my boo boo!

By the way, a quad dog is double articulated.

Posted on the same forum as last one! Actually, it was a forum I had created so newbies could see that shit happens to even the most experienced IF you try and short cut!

*************************

I will kick it off with a yarn against myself.

Old Indy (that's me) was driving a quad dog, heading for a destination in Smithfield in Sydney.

Having consulted the book that tells no lies (yeah, right), otherwise known as a street directory, I knew I had to turn left just after the next hard right hand bend. What I didn't realise, however, was that the left turn was right ON the bend. Oooops!

Hmmmmm Peak hour traffic! Ugh! Don't really wanna back up in this.

Light bulb goes on (WITHOUT consulting the "book"). If I turn right at this next street, I should be able to go down there, hang a right at the next street, hang another right and come in behind where I should have been! What a good plan, thought I!

Only one problem. The street I turned into was narrow. Oh, well! It'll be right! I'll just poke down here a ways and ...... ooooops .... is that a right angle LEFT hand bend up ahead?? There are cars parked everywhere, narrowing the road .... considerably. Never mind! Forge ahead! What dramas can I get into? This is Smithfield, isn't it - an industrial area?

Go around the sharp left hand bend and see a long straight with a right hand bend at the end!

This is getting better! Oooooppps! Except cars are now parked even closer on the road (leaving me inches on either side) and the factories are turning into houses! Ugh!

Get down to the next right hand bend and see another one a couple of hundred yards ahead! Beauty! Still tight for cars being parked, but the job will be right! I will just drive out the other end .......

Or will I?

Go around next right hand bend and there it is! A culdersac (how do you spell that?). Not only is it a culdersac, but you couldn't turn a bloody mini moke around in it! Oooooopps and double ooooopps!

Seven O'clock in the morning. Middle of winter! Reversing beeper waking all the residents up who, naturally, want to view the fun. Sweat pouring out of me everywhere. Air conditioner on full. All the residents having a first class gawd at the proceedings.

Indy has to back quad dog BETWEEN all the cars parked long the road (had enough bloody trouble driving forwards between them), round 2 right angle right hand corners, then (still with cars around leaving me no "swinging room"), back around the LEFT hand (or blind side) bend, then across the traffic on the main road, horns blaring, tempers fraying and Indy looking like he has just emerged from a tropical storm.

The whole exercise cost me, maybe, 2 1/2 hours, 3 stone of weight lost in sweat, and bloody blood pressure through the roof! It was, however, high entertainment for the residents! They loved it. I know this because, having followed me all the way back down the street (about 2 miles), in their dressing gowns and PJ's, they gave me a clap and a cheer as I departed, horribly embarrassed!

Yep! Won't EVER turn up that street again! Come to think of it, no matter how busy it is, or what the traffic levels are, NEXT time I am gonna stop, READ THE BLOODY MAP, before I choose some hair brained scheme like turn "blindly" up a dead end street!

Kindest Regards

Indy