Sep 20, 2008

Vertically Challenged

I love being short. I really do. I think it is a big part of my personality.

It has never really hindered my ability to do anything, although it has made somethings a little more difficult to accomplish. But it has never stopped me.

Yesterday I posted that my legs have been aching lately , and actually, I do know the reason why. It is because I am short!!

HUH??

Yes, it is because I am built closer to the ground. This is a problem I have faced throughout my entire trucking career, but I have always managed to adjust.

When I first started driving, I had troubles reaching the fuel, brake and clutch. So, to accommodate, I strapped 4x6" wooden blocks onto the controls. By the time I got my second truck, I had learned to position myself in the seat to be able to reach the pedals. That first Truck, actually left my legs black and blue with bruises from the edge of the seat cutting into the backs of my thighs. It looked like someone was beating me on a regular basis.

I have found over the years that most trucks have seats that will adjust to fit my needs, and more and more Truck manufacturers are designing Big Rigs to be user friendly for people of all shapes and sizes. For example, the typical seat in a VOLVO will place me under the dash so I can indeed reach the pedals, the only problem with that is that the base of the seat itself is so high, that I cannot get low enough for comfort. Therefore, all though I am close enough, the seat itself presses into the backs of my thighs whilst I try to reach the floor or brake or fuel pedal, which is all the time!! And it cause my legs to be achy, cutting off my circulation.

The first time I ever drove a Volvo was quite amusing. My truck was a Peterbilt, and it was too long to get into a particular dock in OKC. So the broker I worked for, let me borrow one of their company trucks. A daycab volvo. While driving down the interstate to get back to the customer, I got some pretty strange looks from people. You see, every time I would hit a joint in the road, I would bounce inside the truck and mash on the accelerator..... Vrroooommmm Vrroooooommmmm vrrooooommmmmm... Which of course it about every 20 feet on the concrete surface. A police officer riding beside me decided he would see what I was up to. When I explained the situation, he let me go but not before laughing at my expense!! He had also tried to move the seat for me, but no adjustment would help.

For the past 9-10 months I have been driving one such Volvo, but had no problems with the seat adjustment. The air controls in the seat were broken and the little bags looked like squishy brains hanging out of the side of it. But I was comfortable!!! Then, after having exhaust leaks for 2 months, my boss decided to put me back into my original truck from a year ago. This thing had problems from day one, but seemed to have had all the kinks worked out of her. The day I got back in her, my legs went numb!! It has a perfectly good seat with all controls working, the little bags make her seat up high, which is no good for me! I have been in pain and uncomfortable ever since.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

This is too funny. I'm the opposite, don't like being short. I think I was really meant to be tall (or at least 5'4", LOL!). I do have to ride with the seat sitting on the floor and scooted up almost as far as it'll go and I have 3" on you.

Gab

Lyndon said...

People should be fitted with windey handles on the side the same as trailers so you can lengthen or shorten your legs at will.

Problem solved.

Kathy said...

I was over visiting Bears in Exile/Return Home blog and there was a post about you and the video you made of Princess and it mentioned about you being he Aunt. I commented that I had been following you for a while now. How funny that this world can be so small.

Love Bears All Things said...

I'm not laughing but now I know how you manage to reach the pedals. I've wondered about it.

Check out Kathy's comment! Funny!

I hear I'll see more of you soon. You might even come visit me in the new place that is less than 2 miles from Jacob's Cove.

Sorry to hear the adventure was canceled. I was looking forward to that. Did you get a consulation prize?
Mama Bear

Liöüx said...

Wait. I didn't think short people had a reason...

Oh.

Nevermind.

I am only 5'13", myself.

Terry said...

Oh GAB!! You do have a TALL personality, but I embrace my shortness. Too funny, indeed.

Thanks Lyndon! But where would the handle be located? hmmmmm....maybe not!!

Kathy, It is a small world. I heart MamaBear.. She is such a wonderful lady and I am proud to be able to call her part of my extended family.

MamaBear, I will be over to see the new abode very soon, and we will chat...Sorry to have been so absent lately!! Big Hugs

Terry said...

Gee Thanks Liouxie !! The rumors are NOT TRUE, even though I have been searching for my purpose for almost 4 decades, I am sure there is a reason........I think there is a reason...... I hope there is a reason......Please let there be a reason...... :(

Anonymous said...

well, Terry, us taller folks have the same problems. my legs used to go numb all the time when the seat was adjusted the way i liked it. had to get used to having it in a more uncomfortable position to keep the circulation going. now i'm used to the new position and the legs feel much better. be safe out there. Gary

Terry said...

Oh Gary....I wish I could get the good seat to adjust..it just isn't happening, my legs are killing me... No matter how I sit, it cuts off my circulation...Maybe I should remove the seat and install a milk crate??

Digital Fortress said...

I don't know how you do it, but I bet it is quite a sight to see!

Hope your legs feel better soon.

Lyndon said...

Sorry Terry

i was only trying to wind you up...

hahahahahaha

oops, shouldnt laugh at my own jokes.

Terry said...

Lyndon....stop it!! :)