Jul 5, 2007

30 Days And Counting...

Only 30 more days and the new Trucking Co takes over... I am very excited about this, but it seems Homer is getting a tad bit more attitude..

Right now, the best part is the fact I will indeed have a new truck!! I don't think I can take much more of the one I am driving!! Not only is the ride bad, but a breakdown is imminent!! I have explained the situation to the mechanics, but it seems my current employers have no desire to put any money into the trucks at this time... They will be sold immediately after we clean them out in 4 weeks... I understand the concept of not spending the extra money, but if and when it finally gives out, it will incur additional towing and repair fees, so why not do it now!! Just keep your fingers crossed for me that I can make four more incident free deliveries.. The noises are getting noticeably worse with each passing week and honestly, I don't have much faith it will last the 30 days I need it to.

In other trucking news.... Holy Happy Cows, what a week!! I was anxious to get home because of my plans to spend more time with Bachelor Number One.. My load was planned in a very time efficient manner, therefore almost guaranteeing my early arrival home.

Monday morning, I delivered my first stop on Long Island at 5:15 AM....Which allowed me to completely beat rush hour traffic back into Queens. I arrived in Astoria at 6:30 and knew I would have to wait until 8am to deliver my next stop... But, hey , I beat rush hour traffic!! At 9am, I left Jimmy and co to work my way towards Bethlehem , PA... Approximately 80 miles, I felt confident I could be there by 11am....And then on to Philly for 2 more stops before they closed at 3:30pm....

It should have all worked out according to plan... It should have...But it didn't.

Anytime I am running local in the NJ/NY area, I always listen to the local AM station for traffic reports.. It is mandatory to know what is going on!! On my way in , I have heard the reports of a major fatality accident which closed down the Tappanzee Bridge for over 10 hours!! It was reopened at 5:30 am, which was great for commuters! But, I also heard reports of a tractor trailer colliding with ?? underneath the Apartments on I-95...This area is a high merge point for all traffic crossing the George Washington Bridge.. Of course, it was on the southbound side... Um, the direction I needed to travel! The accident occurred sometime around 6am and was a single truck accident.... Should be cleared up in no time, RIGHT?

WRONG. It seems he ripped his trailer open spilling garbage over the entire interstate and blocking all lanes of traffic.....He also completely disable his truck in the collision.. As far as I can tell, he hit the center concrete support wall...

So, I leave Jimmy at 9 am and at 12:17 pm, I reenter New Jersey... That's right folks.. It took me THREE HOURS AND SEVENTEEN minutes to travel NINE POINT TWO miles.

Oh but, it gets even better... See, at this point, with the power of persuasion, I might still be able to con my way into getting finished up on Monday...But then upon arriving in PA, I hear the delightful report of yet another trash truck laying on its side blocking the roadway.... The particular roadway I need to make my delivery... If I could have taken an alternate route I would have, but no.... It was the only one leading to my destination.....

Stupid Trash Haulers!! You know, come to think of it.... It is always the Trash Haulers who are flipping over and losing their loads in this neck of the woods....

Needless to say, I did not make it.... Nope, not even close! I think I ended up finishing my deliveries at approximately 10:30 am Tuesday.... Any who, all is well, that ends well...

And Bachelor Number One was happy to see me on Wednesday!!!

2 comments:

lioux said...

Ugghh.

The traffic around here can be really annoying!

Terry said...

Yeah Lioux, boy do I know it.. I believe that day, 95, 287, 280, 3 and the Jersey Turnpike all had major accidents.... agggghhhhhhh!! I should have just gone thru Brooklyn, but that is ALWAYS a mess!!