Feb 9, 2010

Things That Go BUMP In The Night

Throughout the driving community, certain places are notorious for sexual solicitation. I try to avoid those areas simply because I do not want to be disturbed during my sleep. One such place is the Travel Service Plaza in Milford, Connecticut. There are two trucks stops a mile south of the plaza, so I try I sneak in there after a long day delivering in NYC. I usually do not attempt parking in the Pilot, because I have seen a lot of hood damage occur at this particular location.


Last night, I saw one of the prime parking spots available in the Pilot, so I grabbed it. It was early to bed for me because my Southington, Connecticut delivery opens at 4am. Around 1am, I am roused from my sleep by a very invasive knocking on my sleeper wall. People, theses trucks are not that thick. A gentle tapping will suffice. Now, my first instinct was that someone had backed into my truck and I had possibly slept through it, but that didn't feel right...I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and tried to focus. Then the knocking started again. It was repeated several times over the next 5 minutes, so I slowly raised up to peek and see what the disturbance was about. My second thought was that the Lot Lizards had left the service plaza and bravely invaded the truck stop.

Just as I stole a glance through the curtains, the perpetrator walked away. I was awake at this point, so I watched...It was a man, at first glance he appeared to be desperate. He continued through the parking lot and proceeded to knock on every single sleeper in the lot. Not really sure what that was all about, but I lost an hour sleep over it. Thanks Buddy!!

When my alarm went off a few hours later, I gathered my bathroom items and headed in to brush the ol choppers and grab a quick cup of joe before heading to my stop. Standing in the Ladies Restroom, brushing my teeth, I was a little shocked to watch a MAN walk in and head straight for a toilet stall. He looked directly at me, but never lost stride. He commenced to getting comfortable as I finished up, and just as I was exiting, he let loose with a few grunts for good measure...all I could mutter was "Dude, you're in the wrong room", as I made a hasty retreat.

And here I was, all this time, thinking that there are some really nasty women desecrating the public restrooms, but it all makes sense now!! I finally understand how urine gets alllllll over the toilets....Just teasing!! But there are some really filthy ladie's restrooms!!

3 comments:

John II said...

HA!HA!HA! Not at you, Terry, but the idiot uisng the ladies' bathroom.
That is disturbing and scary, like Eric says. I wonder if the MAN you were saw in the bathroom fits the description of the man knocking on the trucks, including you. Sounds like he was looking for a "quick fix" from a highballer or he assumed that truckers use controlled substances to be alert when driving.
Be careful out there at the truck stops at night and my advice: refill your personal fire extinguisher with mace and hot sauce. When the shit hits the fan, you're be armed and ready.

Bonnie said...

Glad your all right, Terry! Hadn't heard from you on the bird thing, an was wondering if everything was all right! I'm glad your ok!! Its too bad we can't put a sign on the side of the sleeper that says something like: "DUDE, you don't have to break it to wake me up!"

Terry said...

John II, I was thinking maybe he got into a fight with his girlfriend/wife and he thought she jumped into another truck. Believe it or not, that does happen when you have girls travelling with drivers...If he had been "cracked" out, I dont think that one driver would have talked to him for so long.

Bonnie, sorry I am confused..I seem to have forgotten the bird thing???