Feb 4, 2010

# 37 ~ John II

Before driving those "ill-fated" Volvos that the aluminum company has, what types of trucks have you driven and loads you've hauls from the time you got a CDL? - John II

Oh wow, where do I start.

I actually learned to drive in an early 90's model International Cabover with NO power steering. LOL

Since then I have driven 2 Freightliner Classic XLs. A 2 stack MACK with a window in the back. One very beautiful '94 Flattop 359 Peterbilt. A 378 Pete. A Freightliner Columbia. And 2 versions of the Volvo that now tortures my existence. The first version was alot fancier, all the extras and was actually a very good truck. Well, you know the current situation with Frankentruck's particular model.

For freight, I started with lumber. Then I hauled carpet to California and produce back to the East Coast. Next I tackled the forest industry again hauling woodchips, shredded bark and sawdust. There was a brief interval where I was contracted to help out in the Bovine Industry, so I pulled a few loads of feeder calfs and kill cows (those doomed to the slaughter house) My next step had me pulling dry freight, mostly glass bottles and soda cans, with lots of Home Depot, Lowes and Best Buy loads thrown in for good measure. Finally I ended in the aluminum industry and am loving it. Been here for 8 years and if you cant tell, I usually enjoy the divisions that require a little extra oomph from the driver.

Ask me anything

7 comments:

John II said...

Now that's what I called an OTR driver. But you like being an LTL driver. (I think the term 'LTL' stands for 'Little Trucker Lady', huh? But I might be wrong;D)

Anonymous said...

Always a pleasure to read you T. My iphone screen crapped out so I won't be on Twitter as much. I hope to stay intouch though.

StrokerAce90 said...

Terry, It sounds to me like you have had a lot more than just your average over the road experience as a Truck Driver. Hearing of all the different kinds of trucks that you have driven over the years with different kinds of trailers that you pulled and all the various loads that you have hauled. I would think you must be a very valuable asset to you company. Hopefully they will come to fully recognize what they have in you and take very good care of you in the near future because Professional's like you are nearly impossible to come by.

Terry said...

You know John, I have actually driven in the 48 contiguous states, so that does qualify me as OTR, but LTL is my bread and butter...

Joe, oh no!! We are gonna miss you. Hurry up and get that thing fixed!!

Thanks for the kudos Eric. My company does know what they have in me, and the only problems I have are with the mechanics. Of course, I have mentioned being blamed for stuff, but that is coming from a group of office people who are just trying to pass the buck. I think the best appreciation they can show me is to continue to leave me alone.. I never check in during the week, so you think that means they are confident in my abilities? I think so!!

StrokerAce90 said...

Very glad to hear that Terry, It has always been my belief that a Good employee only has to be told what needs to be done, not shown or told how to do it & then when left alone will then impress their companies administration with their brilliance of getting it done Professionally. I was thinking more tho that in the future they should call you into the office to seek your Professional advise on your next Tractor purchase like my company did with me.

Terry said...

Eric, if only it were that easy..My trucking co owns a Volvo dealership and I have been told we are driving these babies for 1.2 million before we get new ones, so unless I change jobs, looks like I better be nicer to ol Frankie!

Gary said...

home depot, lowe's and best buy...some of our biggest customers. small world, huh?